Yes, Officer!!!

Started by Frank v B, September 29, 2018, 10:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

This is a true story.

Took my wife out for dinner at the restaurant of her choice last Friday.  Here is why.

I was stopped by an OPP  officer (Ontario Provincial Police) on a four lane highway (404) coming home from flying at TEMAC on a Sunday.  He said I did not move over and leave a complete free lane between us when he was stopped on the road with his lights flashing (a new law).
I said "Sorry".  He then asked me the following questions:

Q. "Are you married?"  A.  "yes, 40 years"
Q. "Do you have children?" A. "yes, four"
Q. "Do you have grand children?"  A. "yes, four."

He said: "I have children as well and I would like to get home to my family tonight.  So would first responders and tow truck drivers.  Please move over one lane for our safety."

"You have a choice.  You either pay the $490.00 fine and get 3 demerit points (9 points and you could lose your licence) or you take your wife out to dinner and I will rip up the ticket."

"Yes Sir!"

When he walked away I called him back and thanked him.

A cool dude.  Lesson learned.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

RogMason

Frank,  a good story, proving that, not all Police officers are miserable.

You story reminds me of when I was 24 (a couple of years ago now), I was out one night with JoAnn, enjoying my new yellow Mach1 Mustang.  I was doing the typical - not yet mature male thing - of booting it along Lakeshore Blvd, past the (then) Race track and got pulled over by a Police Officer, just at the bend turning north toward Queen St & Kingston Rd.  As I waited with window down for his arrival from behind, I was quite nervous. Imagine my surprise when he leaned down to my window level, took a good look inside the car and said - "Don't tell me Laddie (he was Scottish) - Your wife is pregnant and you are rushing here to the hospital?  I didn't know how to respond to this thinly veiled opportunity to 'get out of jail free' but I thought better of it and decided honesty would be the best plan.  'No Sir', says I.  He took a second look and then said, "OK, your girlfriend is pregnant and you are rushing her to the hospital?"  I nervously laughed and again said 'No Sir'.  By this time JoAnn picked up on the humour and asked if he was selling tickets to the Policeman's Ball and if so could we buy some! 

Long story short - he let me off with a warning and said, one day Laddie, if you live long enough, you might have a need to rush your wife to the hospital! So be careful and drive sensibly". 

What a bloke!?

'Roger That...'

Frank v B

Roger, there are cool cops out there.  Great story.

If you are going back that far..........

My brother was coming home from a U of T Fraternity (Zeta Psi) reunion in Orillia in about 1976.  When he left the party in his bright Clementine Orange VW Beetle and went onto the 400 south to go back to Toronto at about 1 am, an OPP cop car followed him, put on his lights and siren and stopped him.  Before the cop could get to him my brother got his license and insurance ready.  The cop walked up to him and said  "Ernie, great to see you, have a safe trip home".  The cop was a fraternity brother who could not get the time off work to attend the party so he stopped all frat brothers in the same way when they left for home.  They all **** in their pants before they knew it was him.

The cop's evening shift written report probably read "stopped 15 motorists and issued safety warnings". ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"