Winter storage- lipos

Started by Frank v B, October 09, 2018, 09:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mawz

Quote from: cpaine on October 17, 2018, 11:55:51 AM
neat little tip i learned from some ef1 guys at the Nats, once discharged to storage voltage of 3.7v (25-30%?) is to store them in the fridge. im no electrical expert, but the theory is, the cold temps slow down the electrons in the packs... like hibernation so to speak, therefor extending life of the pack....
problem is, they take away room for my beer in my beer fridge!!! ;)

The cold has little effect on the electrons.

It does slow down chemical reactions though, so the idea is valid.

cpaine

Ah yes.. like i said... im no expert lol :) thank you Maws for clarifying
i did find this article... there is lots out there on the subject.

http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf
maac #26951

bweaver

@cpaine , you are like @Frank v B ,  in that you fail to read and/or follow instructions.   I read the article you referred to in your last post.  No where in the article does it indicate that lipos should take up any space in a 'beer fridge'. (I have extracted the relevant references from the article for your future consideration relating to this important subject matter.)

" Lipos don't want to be frozen solid, but keeping them cool during storage is most certainly in our favor. It turns out the typically household refrigerator (37 to 40 degrees) is the perfect storage place.  Put lipos in plastic zip top storage bags and place them in the fridge when not in use...
Like others, I bought a small "dorm refrigerator" for my shop for storing lipos (after my wife threw me out of our kitchen refrigerator vegetable crisper drawer)."

See, it doesn't reference the 'beer fridge'.  I hope you read this and can take appropriate steps before next summer. Get serious!!! ;D

cpaine

Haha good one. Yeah I been hanging around Frank to much!
Lol dorm fridge is the politicaly correct way off saying beer fridge. Mine is top shelf for beer and door and bottom shelf for lipos.
I'm thirsty! Later!   8)
maac #26951

Palkina

Joshua Bardwell just posted a video about when to retire a lipo.
He has some valid points we may want to consider in our safe practices managing our batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43Kx0OxpKI