FW 190 D9 1/9 Scale Kit build log

Started by battlestu, October 11, 2018, 03:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

In keeping with last nights theme, I figured I would post my winter build to keep me honest and on track.

So here it is a 1/9th FW-190 D9:
https://www.fokkerc.com/product/focke-wulf-190-d9-19-scale-model-wooden-kit/

It's been ordered and being cut right now.

Also been looking at a few liveries and think I have narrowed down to JV44. The main reason is for visibility. There is no way i'll lose sight of a red bottom plane and JV44 had a neat backstory:

From Wikipedia
Some Fw 190 Ds served as fighter cover for Messerschmitt Me 262 airfields, as the jet fighters were very vulnerable on take-off and landing. These special units were known as Platzsicherungstaffel (airfield security squadrons).[48] One unit, known as the Würger-Staffel, was created in April 1945 by Lieutenant Heinz Sachsenberg at the behest of Adolf Galland, and was part of JV 44. The role of the Staffel was to guard the airfield and JV 44's Me 262s as they landed; as such the Fw 190s were supposed to take off before the jets and circle the airfield in pairs (a Rotte). However, to allow the 262s a clear run back to the airfield the 190s had to land before the jets, negating their protection.[49] To help anti-aircraft artillery protecting the airfields to quickly identify friendly aircraft, the under-surfaces of the Würger-Staffel 190s were painted red with narrow white stripes.[50] leading to the alternative nickname of Papageien Staffel (parrot squadron) from the bright red color.

I'll post more when the kit gets here.

Thanks
Greg

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

bweaver

Great project Greg! 

I'm looking forward to following your construction.

That motor you bought last night won't lift 62lbs though.  The wing loading is really going to be something :)

sihinch

I think it looks amazing Greg.  Good luck with the build!  :)

I can't wait to see how you are going to do all those white lines on the underside!  ;D

battlestu

thanks, Bruce... there something off with the math on that. If the kit is 1.4kg it should be closer to 3lbs ;)

battlestu

thanks, Simon... looking forward to working on it. An email has been sent to Callie for help with those White lines ;)

octagon

Wow Greg, that looks great. I was reading about that plane a while ago and some consider it the best piston engine fighter on either side in WW2. I will follow your build threat and if I get the CL415 finished in time might order one of these and do the same colour scheme as yours so we can go and protect ME 262s together.
What could possibly go wrong?

battlestu

guess what came in... I could go on a long rant about Canada post going on strike and taking there sweet time to deliver stuff but I'll move on..

The box got a bit dinged up and the cowl is out of sorts. It's not cracked but it is bent up.
I do need some help fixing it up; so please post any ideas you have.

I'm off to make some copies of the plans, get the shop cleaned up, and inspect for any other damage.

bweaver

I do not know if this will work, but consider filling the cowl with really hot water and allow it to return to its original shape due to the heat and water pressure pushing the sides back out.  No guarantee implied or warranted.

Bruce

battlestu

thanks, Bruce ... I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out.

After sorting out the bits and pieces. It was time for some horizontal stabilizer action (and a little rudder time)

... next up ailerons and flaps.

Thanks
Greg

octagon

Hey Greg,
Looks great, but I am not sure your workbench is as flat or as hard as it needs to be.
Seriously, looks like an amazing kit. Good for you.

battlestu

no worries that is the staging area :)

...the workshop is too dark for a decent photo

battlestu

ailerons mostly done :)... will get more work done tomorrow

Crazyflyer

bweaver

The construction looks like it is a great kit with pieces that actually fit together.  Is that the way it is going, or are you just not complaining about all of the adjustments you have to make to ensure everything fits?  ;D

Looking great!

octagon

Greg, you are doing a good job. Looks great. The kit looks very high quality.