Frank v B's winter project- Sportwin

Started by Frank v B, October 11, 2018, 09:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Forgot to bring the plans last night for my winter project.  I have the full size plans of Mark Rittinger's Sportwin, a twin engine speed 400 airplane with 38" span.  May as well join the 4 members building the twin engine CL 415 with a twin of my own.

I built a reduced size (30") one about 10 years ago and put two 280 brushed motors in it and it flew sloppily.  Then upgraded it to two 100 watt out runners with 5" props on 3 cells and added landing gear.  It was a riot to fly.  Lots of vertical.  Then decommissioned it.  Later, built a larger version (60" span) and put two OS .25's in it and it flew with authority.  Gave this one to Tony Hayward when I got out of slimers.

Plan to build it in the original size (38" span) and may put retracts in it because I have them courtesy of a donation.  It should (will!) fly fast.  Not decided on motors yet.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10418

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

battlestu

great looking plane... almost looks like a DH-88 Comet
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Thanks exactly what I thought Greg.

Go on Frank, do it! Please... ;D

mawz

Don't ever tell Mark Rittinger that the Sportwin looks like a DH.88 ;-)

I did once, he was not impressed...

(He's a pretty nice guy in actual fact, but I suspect he got an earful on that)

Andy Hoffer

Hey @Frank v B ,

Looks like a great project!  Do the plans come with corn seed or bean seed?   8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re: "Do the plans come with corn seed or bean seed?   8)"

Who cares about which seed.  I will be planting next season.  It is my job at TEMAC! ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 13, 2018, 07:34:49 PM
Andy,

re: "Do the plans come with corn seed or bean seed?   8)"

Who cares about which seed.  I will be planting next season.  It is my job at TEMAC! ;D

Frank

@Frank v B , in that capacity you most assuredly have no equal.  Please provide advance notice of planting day so that I can chronicle the event with the respect due to such an auspicious occasion.  8)

Andy

piker

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on October 13, 2018, 04:50:54 PM
Hey @Frank v B ,

Looks like a great project!  Do the plans come with corn seed or bean seed?   8)

Andy

I definitely LOLed at that one   ;D

Frank v B

Piker,

Glad you had a chuckle.

Can you give us a talk on how to connect twin motors to RX's and batteries.  Michael, you and Glenn have experience but I have limited experience.
Temac will be full of twins next year. :D

Frank

Frank v B

Just found pictures of the small Sportwin I built many years ago with the two Speed 280 brushed motors.  They were later upgraded to 100 watt outrunners.

Note the 72 meg antenna. ;D

Frank