CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Glenn N, Rob D, Bill V, and I have all decided to build Canadair Waterbombers from the same `short`kit. The intention is to build them at the same time, share information as we proceed, and hopefully to finish them in the same colours.

A short kit is essentially plans and a minimum of balsa parts. This kit also included two cowls.

All wood sheeting, wood strips, hardware, etc. needs to be purchased separately. There is no list of what to buy, and there are no building instructions, but there is a colour-photocopy sheet of a magazine article that includes some photos of the construction.

I`ve opened up the plans and placed the wood on top. The laser cut parts look nice, and each piece has a building code number engraved on it.

My first task is to carefully go over the plans and make a list of wood to buy.

Glenn, Rob and Bill will contribute to this thread, and anyone is invited to comment.
Michael

bweaver

A super project!  I am looking forward to following the construction thread as the planes begin and continue to materialize... 

I am also checking out investment opportunities with companies that grow, log and process balsa lumber.   :)

Michael

I'm getting ready to build.

Since there are no instructions, and since the laser cut parts don't all match the plans, there will be a fair amount of figuring out what to do.

I'm starting with the wings, and the first thing I notice is that the rib notches in the balsa for the 1/8th square hardwood don't match the plans. They will be flush with the outer surface, and not under sheeting as indicated on the plans. I'll take out all the parts, and start planning how to build.

I need to decide if I cut and shape the trailing edge from sheet, or if I go back to the hobby store for a formed trailing edge.
Michael

octagon

I started building last night. I have the horizontal stabilizer, the elevators and the finlets built. The laser cutting is very good but the plans seem kind of vague in places and there are no building instructions. There is a short article with a few pictures online, but like Michael says, I think there will be a lot of figuring out to do with this one.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

It's frustrating when the plans don't match the parts.  I think this might be more of an issue with short kits in this laser cutting era.  It's relatively easy with low commitment to CAD up and cut a low volume run of laser parts, so ensuring accuracy to the plans and ensuring a build sequence makes sense is less important that it was when building die-cut tools and producing a production quantity of full kits.

Anyway, they always say to trust the parts and use the plans as reference.

That aside, I've got my bowl of popcorn ready and I'm watching the show.  This is going to be cool!

bweaver

While it is a while off yet, have any of you decided on the color scheme you will select for the finished aircraft?  ???

I did an image search for the CL-415 and found that you have a great selection of full-size aircraft color schemes to choose from.

It is a pretty plane. 

You don't have to commit to one, but I am curious about which schemes you are thinking of.

Frank v B

I see this build as a tribute to one of our zone members who invented the water bomber scoop in 1960.  He was a member, and a past president of the Bramalea RC Flyers.  The patent for the water bomber scoop is registered in his name, Knox Hawkshaw.  He helped us with our first Ryerson presentation.  The EMFSO/TEMAC/Bramalea members did a presentation of aerodynamics and modelling to the Dean of the faculty.

Forum details at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=6492.0

He passed away May 8 this year.  His obit.http://www.lifenews.ca/announcement/8604722-hawkshaw-knox-j-nee-peng-

Here's to you Knox. 

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

I met him just once at an Oakville Open House Fun Fly.  I was so excited to meet him as I had learned about his history just a little while before meeting him.  He built a large scale PBY model to test the water drop system back in the day (if my memory serves me correctly) and he even had the model at the fun fly.  I don't think it got off the ground that day though.

Robert

octagon

I built the vertical stab after work tonight. Rob, you are right about it being frustrating when the plans and die cut parts don't match up. Nothing is really labeled on the plans, and none of the die cut pieces really fit the plan. I figure they cut them all oversized so that you can trim everything to make nice joints.  So I just kind of built it the way I thought it should go. If the tail falls off on the maiden I will know I did something wrong!

Michael

I bought over-size trailing edge stock, and I cut the width to the correct size with a home-made balsa-stripper. I then filed in notches for the rear ribs as per the plans.

My balsa-stripper works well; I tighten the blade to the correct width, and then set the angle to cut just over half the depth, then I cut the top and then the bottom.

If anyone wants to build a balsa stripper, just be warned that it is an open sharp tool. Be careful with it.
Michael

Michael

I hoping for a simple yet familiar colour scheme; something like this.
Michael

octagon

Quote from: bweaver on November 05, 2018, 12:18:26 PM
While it is a while off yet, have any of you decided on the color scheme you will select for the finished aircraft?  ???

I did an image search for the CL-415 and found that you have a great selection of full-size aircraft color schemes to choose from.

It is a pretty plane. 

You don't have to commit to one, but I am curious about which schemes you are thinking of.

We have talked amongst ourselves Bruce and kind of thought we would do them in the same livery but with different registration. Should be good if we get 4 or them built, and then maybe Piker and maybe even Colin get together to fly them all together.

piker

Oh Hell!  I'll show up for THAT!!!   ;D

octagon

Tonight installed the elevator servo (made a removable hatch), leading edge sanded, lower fin sheeted and finlets finished sanding. They have to have a wide slit cut in the centre from trailing edge towards leading edge so they will slip over leading edge of horizontal stab. Going to watch the Leafs so that is it for tonight.

Michael

I 'planed' (pun unintended) the trailing edge thinner, as it was a bit too thick.

Then I glued it, with a brace, for the full length of the trailing edge without the ailerons (I am not building flaps; I think Glenn is).
All other spars will be joined as well as possible, but staggered, to avoid a weak spot in the wings.

Overall, the wing is of a very unorthodox construction, with each rib in 3 pieces. I'm just testing things out before I commit to glue.

Michael