Would you paint a brand new plane?

Started by sihinch, July 18, 2020, 08:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I wanted a new, foam warbird that was slightly larger. Although it's expensive, when you think about all the electronics, servos, retracts etc, I decided the new E-Flite P-51D Mustang was fair value. And I Love Mustangs, plus E-Flite planes tend to just work! So I bought one.......but for me it's just the wrong colour!

So, with some trepidation and reservations I opened the Tamiya paint and got my paint brushes out.  Would you dare do this? Am I crazy?

octagon

One of the things stopping me from buying one is I hate the colour scheme. Good go Simon. You have given me the courage to buy one an do what you did. Looks so much better.
What could possibly go wrong?

bweaver

@sihinch Re:  Would you dare do this? Am I crazy?

No you are Simon the artist. 

If one doesn't like the original color scheme, treat it as a blank canvas.

BJROB

Are you crazy 😜
THAT's a BIG YESSSS!!!😲
That's why you can do such a thing as make it the plane you want it.🙃
They did it at the time of war..... change the paint and colours and add ticks of honour....it's all a battle😩
The battle now is in your head. 🤔.... like should I stay or should I go. 🙄.... should I paint or not. 😬
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Oscar

@sihinch  - Simon, That's the same color scheme that FMS sells in China (FMS has signed an agreement with HH that they cannot sell the same plane outside China. 90% of current HH planes are developed by FMS and HH)

https://youtu.be/b_qh4dY5nzU

sihinch

For those of you that also bought the new 1.5m P-51D, I had to report a problem to Horizon today.  Apparently, Michael also had the same probelm.

One of the rear wing screws would not go in.  I measured all the hole center-to-center and the fuselage was correct but the rear right (when viewed from the top of the plane) wing screw was not aligned with the threaded hole.  I put some paint on the screw tip and put it in position, and you can see from the attached photo how off center it is.

I fixed it by drilling our the wing guide (not ideal) but afterwards found out that another solution people have used is to put a bevel on the screw end, to help guide it in to the thread on the fuselage.

Hope none of you have the issue, also.

sihinch

Maidened last night. This is a sweet flying plane. Smooth, powerful and scale looking.

One other minor issue on 1st flight - one of the gear doors broke. Again, not sure why. I had no mishaps and a good take off. A bit annoyed and disappointed given it was the first flight. Come on E-Flite!

But it did look great with the new scheme.  :D

Canuke

Beautiful looking model. So much nicer than the all silver ones. I've got an older silver Thunderbolt I don't fly much any more maybe a new colour scheme might pique up my interest in it. I'm going to look up some paint schemes. I'm currently trying to repair a Extra 300 (which is really a write off) but we will see.

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Michael

Oscar

I was fortunate to witness the maiden flight.  The new paint Simon did is nicely done. The maiden flight is amazing.  Its like Simon has flew this plane many times already.  The sound with high speed pass thru the runway is great.  Taken off and landing at the grass field are fine.  I am sure in the future with the new runway, it will even better.

Well done Simon