HyperBipe Aileron linkage repair advice wanted

Started by Eric Adventurer, August 17, 2020, 01:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Adventurer

Hello all,
Julien has been very much enjoying flying the Hyperbipe biplane.
On the last flight however, the plane made an unscheduled slightly negative altitude flight.  ::) :P ;D
The plane is now fixed minus the aileron linkages. Those are the links that connect the top and bottom ailerons.
Could I get some advice on how to repair it?
Thanks in advance,
Eric H.

sihinch

Personally I would add a little plywood piece with a hole in it.  Cut the plastic piece out of the wing.  Epoxy a ply plate in it's place, in the slot in the aileron where the plastic piece was.  This is what we essentially did with the Skywriter we built a few years ago.

Frank v B

Eric,

I agree with Simon, except because this is a foam wing*, I would add a 1/64" ply plate (1"x1") top and bottom on the wing to spread the load.... and yes, glue them in place with 5 minute epoxy.  If you need some 1/64 ply, I can bring some this Wednesday evening (informal training).

note: There is still one hole left on the linkage.  It could be used but the hole may have to be drilled out.  To make it function the same, the other wing should be adjusted the same way.  As long as everything is symmetrical, it will work fine.

Frank

* the Skywriter was a balsa plane.

"Never trade luck for skill"

Eric Adventurer

Thank you very much guys!
Frank, that would be awesome.

bweaver

@Eric Adventurer  I have these replacement parts that I can give you.  PM me with your phone number and we can arrange for you to get them.

:) 

Eric Adventurer

@bweaver That is even better. Thank you!
@Frank v B , Thanks again. I'll get the parts from Bruce. That will be much easier.
@sihinch
You guy all rock!
We have such an awesome club!