CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

Nice work guys!
  I have almost completed the fuselage work and will likely place the port side fuselage sheeting on tomorrow. The wing is about 80% complete now with ailerons, flaps and nacelles pretty complete as well. Photo's just need to be taken to show the progress. I will have to work out the hinges and belcrank locations before I can seal up the top portion of the wing. The servos will be a little tricky and will have to be installed in a manner similar to the Piper Tri-Pacer which has the servo body hanging below the bottom of the wing. But given the location will be within the confines of the fuselage, it really is no issue.
  Here is the start of the left wing panel.

octagon

impressive job on the red trim.
What could possibly go wrong?

electroflyer

As promised, a few more photo's showing the wing as it progresses.

Glenn

Michael

No, the windows aren't blue; that's the reflection of the beautiful blue sky.  :D

Michael

Michael

Small details ...
Michael

Michael

Sanding, filler, sanding, water-based poly-urethane, more sanding, more water-based poly-urethane, more sanding, and spray paint.

Michael

Michael

More wing work.

Michael

Michael

It's really starting to take shape.

1500 grams, or about 3 pounds and 5 ounces.
Michael

piker

Very cool!

I'll let you know as soon as the lake is open for float flying   ;D

piker

It was SO COOL to see all three CL-415 Water Bombers last night at the January meeting.  They all look so good.

Keep up the great work guys!

Robert

Michael

Motors mounted, spinning counterclockwise, with rudder/differential steering (right rudder increases left motor throttle; left rudder increases right motor throttle), to help steer on land and water.

Michael

octagon

I have decided to fiberglass the fuse. Bottom is and right side are done in 1 oz cloth, using Zpoxy, which is quite nice to work with, little smell and easily squeegeable. Next need to fill with Canadian Tire auto body filler, sand as much off as I can, and then a coat of sandable primer, again sanding off as much as I can (a little palm sander is great for this I have found). Then paint or ultracote. This way I know the fuse is strong and as watertight as I can make it.

sihinch

Good call Rob! Looks great. It's a long time since I used epoxy with fiberglass but I really like it as a finish. Good luck.

electroflyer

Nice work Rob!
The glass is a lot of work, but really worthwhile.
I was roughing in the flaps on my wing. There are a lot of parts to cut and shape, but I have everything in more or less and will make sure things line up before any adhesive touches the wood.

octagon

I finished the fiberglass of the fuse. Needs to be sanded of course. The problem is none of the LOHs have anything less than 1 1/2 ounce cloth and say they can't get the lighter stuff. I think that is heavier than I need and would like to use lighter. I need 2 yards or 1 or 3/4 ounce so if anyone has extra I would be happy to purchase it from you. I plan to attach the nacelles tomorrow so I can finish sheeting the wing, at least the outboard part of them. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Off to see if I can find a rattle can of the correct yellow to match the tail, which is already covered. If not, I will have to remove the covering from it and glass and paint it. Not the end of the world but if I can avoid it I will.