CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I'd prefer maidening from land.

If you guys insist, give me notice to waterproof my plane.
Michael

octagon

We'll see what we do, but you probably should waterproof it now so even if we don't maiden them over water, you will be ready to go when we do go.
I have been working on my plane after a wonderful week in Jamaica. It is now all wet sanded and has the white primer on it. I think it is finally ready for it top coat of yellow, but I am going to wait until it warms up and I can do it outside.It is nice to finally see clearly the light at the end of the tunnel. My next build is going to be a Brian Taylor designed FW190. I ordered the plans and short kit from Sarik last week.
What could possibly go wrong?

octagon

You know how when you are building something, some days are great and others not? Well today was a not. As one of the final jobs on the plane I wanted to make sure the motors were both pointed in about the same direction with the same thrust line. I took a couple of pieces or 6mm aluminum tube and put it on the motor shaft of each motor. Sure enough, a foot from the front of the motors, the pipes were farther apart that they were at the hub. I used wood screws to secure the motors to the firewall, which as it turns out was a mistake. This is were things started to go sideways. I took the right motor off and used washers to try and make it point in roughly the same direction as the left one. Long story short, after adding washers and putting the motor on and off trying to get it right, I ended up stripping the screw holes in the firewall. Tried to add another piece of plywood to the back of the firewall but just not enough room to get in there and do it. Hmmm, maybe it will just be alright with 2 screws still holding. After some thought as to how long this guy has taken to put together I though I should not chance a motor tearing loose in mid flight. No option I could think of other than to cut the bottom of the nacelle open and use nuts on the back of screws to secure everything. What a pain! Anyway, got it done and the glazing compound covering the opened up nacelle should be just about ready to sand, but that is tomorrow.

piker

The plane is looking nice, Rob.  I would not deny that painting takes more work, but at least it won't wrinkle.   ;D

Michael, yours looks awesome too!  Those spray rails will not fall off!!  Maybe you should fly from the snow before it's too late!

octagon

Finally all the sanding and filling is done. I think it was worth the work as I am happy with the way the topcoat appears. I sprayed the bottom of the wing, which is the part of the plane that has the most blemishes due to the servo doors and all, and even it looks presentable. I am off tomorrow so I hope to get more painting done. On the home stretch!

octagon

I got around to painting the hull yesterday. It was mild enough to do it outside. The paint I used on it has to dry for 48 hours (at least) before reapplying another coat, which the plane needs, but it looks pretty good. I guess all those hours of glazing and sanding were worth it.
I also decided to do some work on the Tigercat. It was all blue and when I flew it last year it seemed like it would be very easy to get disoriented with it. I removed the nacelles and horizontal stabs and sprayed them first with a white primer and then with yellow in the hopes the plane will be easier to see.
I also got the wood to start on a 60 size Brian Taylor FW190. When I was a kid, my dad built one for us to fly (Ukie) but then gave or traded it before I flew it. I always remembered it and wished that I had had a chance to fly it. I am thinking I may build the wing now and do the fuse and all in the fall.

electroflyer

We had a fun night at the meeting last night. We also managed to get the three CL415's together for a bit of a show and tell and I think they all looked pretty fine. Given that all three were started in December, it shows what can be accomplished with sharing ideas and giving each other a kick in the pants to keep working. Overall, despite the issues around the short kit, I must say that these issues are easily resolved by a little ingenuity and planning.
  Here are a few pictures of the Canadair/Bombardier CL415's water bombers. 271,272 and 273!

bweaver

They all looked fantastic.  Each of you should be proud of your CL-415.  I can't wait to see them at the field and in the air.  Bravo!

octagon

I think I have finally finished building this plane. Did all the control rods tonight and fixed the wheels so they are both the same height now. Added the stripes. Like Glenn says, it was a challenging build but I like that because  every time I build something challenging, there is something I learn for the next build. The plane came out like me, a bit heavier than I wish. Flying weight with 2 graphine 3s 2200s is 8.8 pounds. about half a pounds heavier than I was aiming for. I think it should still be ok, it does have big flaps to help with landings. I really want to see this thing on the water. I was thinking I might try and find a pond somewhere to taxi it. It has differential thrust, so the motors are in sinc with the rudder and that is how I will turn it. Now back to the FW 190.

electroflyer

sihinch

piker

Wow!  So cool to see all three 415's reaching the finish line.

Great job boys!!!

Michael

2 successful maiden flights so far. Despite the weight differences between Glenn's model and my model, both planes require down-elevator trim, nose weight and down thrust.
Michael

bweaver

The pictures don't do them justice. 

They both looked fantastic outdoors with natural light and fauna surrounding them. (Next time avoid the fence - talk to Andy)  They flew beautifully, majestically, realistically and looked truly like the actual aircraft in flight.  They flew fine.

If I had seen smoke on the horizon, I wouldn't have given their presence at second thought.  I would have been going to find their water source to and watch them fill up.

Bravo guys.  Now I can't wait to see three of them together at the field.

sihinch

They look amazing! Congrats both of you.