CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I'll think about 3 hinges.

In the meantime, I've installed 1/8th inch thick 'lite' plywood on the bottom of each outer wing bay (and balsa blocks inside), with holes matched to the carbon fiber rods on the tip floats.

I'll be busy working for the next number of days, but now the aileron servo installation is next.

Michael

piker

You've been very busy, Michael!  It looks great!

octagon

Finally got a bit of time to work again. I thought I was going to be able to build at least for 1/2 of the day on the weekend, but ended up getting about 90 minutes total. Anyway after work today I constructed the ailerons, hinged them (thank you Michael, copied you but used 3 hinges) and finally started work on the fuse. I used trailing edge on the rear of the wing and the front of the aileron so as to get as much travel as possible.  In order to make the stringers bend I soaked them with windex. For the flaps I think I am going to do mine scale, the way Colin did on his. It seems easier and more realistic than just pin hinges.
What could possibly go wrong?

octagon

Ok, got to work on the fuse. finished both sides last night and tonight joined them in the centre section. Biggest thing is to try and make things as square as possible and so I spent considerable time (and a few choice words when the clamps kept popping off) but I think it is pretty good. Hope to get a chance to do a bit more tomorrow afternoon before the Christmas Party.

Michael

A third (middle) hinge added to the aileron, and servo (and horn and linkage) installed.

At neutral, the servo arm position is such that there will be more up aileron travel than down.

The servo will be open on the bottom of the wing, because I prefer to be able to make adjustments if needed. I'll make up some type of cover later to help keep water away.

The servo sits in balsa. The holes were hardened with glue, and I believe (and it is my experience) that the balsa will be strong enough to hold the servo.

The extra balsa around is to give the covering something to stick to.

Now the other side.
Michael

Michael

Elevator construction under way.

Michael

octagon

I had trouble with the forward section of the fuse. The stringers that curve both upwards and inwards when I tried to bring them together they cracked, and 2 or 3 attempts at fixing them did not work. I got a piece of 2 X4X12 soft balsa and carved a nose section from that, then hollowed it out. It should be strong and although slightly heavier than built up, it is in the nose and should not pose a problem. I cannot find any plans to build the cockpit roof, which is the next structural part to build. The battery hatch is built but it needs a bit of leveling and re-enforcement but that should not take long. starting to look like a plane at last.

Michael

The built-up fuselage structure with sheeting doesn't really fit into my KISS strategy, and I don't want to experience the challenges Rob faced, so I will be following Robert Pike's advice.

I will make the fuselage sides from 1/8th sheet only; no 'sticks' sub-structure.

In the meantime, I'm still working on the elevator.

Michael

octagon

After fooling around trying to make the battery hatch a built up unit, I decided to just carve one out of some nice 3/4 inch balsa I had. Then using the plans (thanks Glenn, didn't see the plan for the hatch hidden way over to the right side) I built the cockpit roof. I found it somewhat intricate to build. Anyway, looks good at this point and everything seems to fit correctly. I should have some time this afternoon to build the V hull, keel and probably sheet the bottom of the  plane.

octagon

Tonight I sheeted the bottom of the hull. I used 1/8th balsa from the nose to the step and 1/16 from the step back. I will re-enforce it with a skin of 1/64th ply and then glass the whole thing. I spent a lot of time carving the nose block. I had to laminate some 1 inch plank I had. I then had to use my sander to get the correct shape, after I cut out the very rough shape with a band saw. There is no real drawing of what the finished block should look like, so I just kind of worked it until it looked right. Think it came out ok. Before I sheet any more of the plane I am going to work out the placement of the servos and batteries and all. I am thinking I will fly it on 2 4S batteries like Rob Pike does on his, with maybe a couple of 25 or 32 motors turning 3 blade counter rotating props.

octagon

I fabricated and installed the 1/8 balsa battery tray, finished the cockpit roof supports glued the nose on and applied filler. I couldn't resist putting most of the major parts together. It is nice to see the big picture shaping up. I have decided to close the store between Christmas and New Years so I am hoping to get a few building days in. I am wrestling with whether to go to the trouble Glenn has with his bell crank system of just leave the servos in the tail. I love the simplicity of the servos in the tail, and that work is already done, but am mindful of too much weight in that big tail. On the other hand the plans call for one 3s 4000 battery and I am thinking 2- 3 or even 4 s 4000, so maybe a little tail weight is not a bad thing.

Michael

I'm probably going to put servos in the tail.

I'm probably going to use a >< hinge line on my elevator.

Both not so scale, but within my KISS strategy.

Michael

Michael

Stab and elevator and "finlets" are done, hinged (not glued yet) and shaped. A bit more sanding later.

This was a bit more work and thought than I expected, but it was fun.

I haven't put a control horn in yet, because I haven't figured out how that will be controlled yet.

Soon, I start the fin/rudder.

Michael

piker

BEAUTIFUL flying boats coming together!  Keep it up, guys. 

Robert

electroflyer

Wow! Rob that is coming together nicely.
As for bell cranks, they work for me but they are fiddly and require a lot of pre-build planning. Right now I am glassing the elevators as the final step. After that I can start the assembly of the tail section to the fuselage and work towards sheeting the left side of the fuselage.  As for your aircraft, do what you feel will work well for you. The servos in the tail definitely are easier to setup and maintain. This direction I took may come back to haunt me...lol.

Michael,
  That is interesting about not doing a frame. I bet that will work real well!
I am really blown away at how the same aircraft from the same drawings can be built so differently and each one will be successful. After watching the video of Colin's we know they will all be great flyers!

Glenn