CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

Rob,

I have most of a square yard of 3/4 oz (I think) fibreglass cloth.  Bought it at one of the swap meets.  Let me know if you want it.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

My essentially finished model weighs just over 4 pounds without a battery, and just under 5 pounds with a battery.

The E-Flite 450 motors that I have require 20+ amps each to produce a total of about 450 watts, which should be ideal for realistic flight, but that's a little too much for the motors, and they get hot within a few seconds.

I've ordered (from AJ Hobby) 2 1020kv E-Flite 480 motors, which are only marginally bigger (so they will fit my model). I use one in a 'warwing' model and it goes straight up, so I think this will be better.

Decals are in transit.
Michael

bweaver

@Michael   Re: "I've ordered (from AJ Hobby) 2 1020kv E-Flite 480 motors, which are only marginally bigger (so they will fit my model). I use one in a 'warwing' model and it goes straight up, so I think this will be better."

I'm glad to see you have ordered two motors for your beautiful CL-415 and are not going to take your Warwing out of service by removing its motor to be placed in another plane. Excellent decision!  :)

octagon

Finished fiberglassing the fuse, nacelles and rudder. Wing is ready for final top sheeting as soon as the nacelles are secured to it and the motor wires run through the wing. Then glass the wing and then starts the sanding and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling.
What could possibly go wrong?

electroflyer

Well, it is a long time between posts, but I have been busy with assorted projects.
   I am now in the process of sheeting the rear wing as the control linkages and control surfaces now work. The lighting needs to be completed by running nav lights to the wing tips. Landing lights are run and waiting for locations in the leading edge. I will also be gluing a triangular leading edge which will be sanded to the desired shape. I almost screwed up large by not placing my wing tip float hard point in place before sheeting, but caught myself. If all goes according to plan, I should have the top sheeting finished tomorrow with the wing ready to bolt in place.

Here are the latest photo's including the the Nacelles.

Michael

Now with 480 motors and 9/6 slow fly props, 440 watts max power; better than adequate for a 5 pound model.

Michael

octagon

My plane is heavier than Michaels, and so I used Eflite Power 25s. The nacelles are installed and the wing completely sheeted. I had a hard time getting the differential thrust to work. All was good until I changed the airplane type to flaps and then Aux1, which had the second throttle plugged in would stop working as a throttle. Anyway, I ramble. Figured it out and It works well now. Big fowler flaps should slow the plane right down. I have a bit more filling to do around the nacelles and then it will be time to glass the entire wing top and bottom. I am putting the speed controls and rx on the bottom of the wing inside the fuse. This way I only have to hook up the elevator and the rudder to pigtails off the rx. I will put a bead of silicone on the wing to fuse joint and also have some Corrsion X that will waterproof everything. Oh ya, one last thing. When cutting a cable tie, I managed to snip both antenna off the rx, meaning I had to take it apart and resolder them. This build seems full of little things to try your patience.

Michael

Your model looks amazing, Rob.

I'll copy your idea of mounting most equipment on the bottom of the wing.
Michael

electroflyer

Looking good Rob!
  My aircraft is moving along now that I have figured out the easiest way to connect the tip floats (should they break off). I used a hard mount with a metal eye,  then connected an 18" leader line from fish tackle which will route through a hole in the wing and attach  directly to a mount on the tip float. This will hopefully prevent the loss of said tip float should it break free on a bad landing due to a side load being applied.  The motors and speed controllers are both installed and functioning. I have chosen to place the esc's in the nacelles and hope this will not come back to haunt me. The top of the wing is completely sheeted now with leading edges being installed. I hope to have the Nacelle coverings installed today which I think means that the aircraft is complete as far as building goes. The wing bolts are are also located and with two 3s 3300 batteries installed in the battery tray balances slightly nose down. Therefore the need for lead in the nose is highly unlikely.  ;D

electroflyer

Here is the aircraft together. I am very happy as to how it is shaping up.
  Next comes the smoothing and filling, followed by the fibreglassing... then more smoothing and filling..lol :P

octagon

Looks great Glenn. I seem to have developed a bronchial infection, and have been feeling very under the weather, so no more progress for me to this point.

electroflyer

Thanks Rob,

Sorry to hear that you are still sick. Rest up and get well soon!

Glenn

piker

All the 215s look fantastic!  Keep plugging away.  The water bomber is a fun model to own as it's easy to fly and performs from the water very well.

Michael

Nice 4-blade props, Glenn.

Where did you get them, and what will you be doing for spinners?
Michael