CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

Nice try Rob, These are 415's ;D

Thanks though. Very fun and challenging build!

Hey Michael, These are FMS 4 blade props that I found at Pinnacle. Not sure if they are big enough, but I have larger 3 blade props just in case.
  For spinners, I will modify some two blade spinners by cutting two extra holes.

Glenn

piker

Quote from: electroflyer on January 31, 2019, 08:48:19 PM
    Nice try Rob, These are 415's ;D 

Oh ya.  Well, never mind.  The 415's fly like CRAP    ;D

octagon

Ok Rob, we'll take the wingletts off and then it will fly like yours.

Finished applying the cloth to the top of the wing.Use finishing epoxy and am happy with the results. Found another use for toilet paper. After squeegeing out as much resin as possible the toilet paper does a great job of sopping up anything that is left over. I used this on the left wing portion and it is the smoothest unsanded surface I have ever attained. I put clamps on the overhanging cloth to make sure it adheres to theleading and  trailing edges
What could possibly go wrong?

electroflyer

Very nice work Rob!

I am almost ready to start glassing the wing and fuselage. I am taking my time though as I would like to take care of as many imperfections now as opposed to later when it is much harder to change.
  I almost forgot to put a hard point in the rear part of the wing for the tip floats. The solution was to open the outer most wing rib with a 1/4" (or less) slot. This allowed the piece of plywood to slide in very nicely...close call ::)

octagon

Ok, so good day today. I have finished fiberglassing everything but the elevators which will be  a 15 minute job. The wing felt heavy to me, but then I figure it does have 2 power 25 motors, the receiver and 2 60 amp esc attached to it. Anyway, i put it all together tonight so I could weigh it and see how it was doing. It comes in at 6.4 pounds without batteries or props but with everything else. I feel I may be able to fly this with 2 3s 2400s. It is not painted yet either of course. I am projecting a flying weight all up of 7.5 to 8 pounds, quite a bit more hefty than Michaels, but it does have bigger motors, bigger ESCs and props and flaps and all the linkages and extra servos for them, and it is completely fiberglassed. All the building and engineering is done and it has had it's sanding before priming. I cannot do the paint here, but Rob Pike kindly offered his attic workroom if I want to drive to Port Perry, which I hope to do next weekend if it works out. I have found this build to have been challenging but rewarding, and like anytime I build a plane, I learn techniques of how to build the next one better.

piker

Don't let Michael scare you  ;D

7.5 to 8 pounds will be great.  I think mine is around 8 lbs.  I think Colin's is too.

Robert

sihinch

Congrats Rob and completing your build. I can't wait to see the finished, painted model.

Michael

Rob, are you coming to the meeting next week, and if so, will you bring the decals?

How much do we owe you?

Michael

octagon

Hi Michael,
Yes, in fact tonight I separated the two big sheets that contained all the graphics into 3 individual sets. I will bring them to the meeting. Callie did a nice job on them.

octagon

So all the building is done, everything fits and it has all been sanded after the glassing. Going to Rob Pike's to spray the coats of primer on the weekend. Only thing left to finish are the cowl mounting blocks and faring the cowls to the nacelles and  the spray rails on the nose. I did have a moment of panic. I had glued the horizontal stab in place with epoxy, let it set for about 2 hours and then went to check. Yikes, the wing and stab did not line up when I sighted down the plane. WTF, it seemed fine when I trial fitted it before glueing it. Then, thank God, I noticed that the right wing bolt was not done all the way up and so the wing was not seated properly in the saddle . I tightened it and everything lines up perfectly. Looking forward to finishing this up as I have an Ultra Sport 60 I want to finish, and I have to fashion a cowl, hopefully out of fiberglass, for it. Also bought an Kyosho Extra 300 ARF I would like to have flying in the spring.

electroflyer

Rob,
You did a great job on your CL415! These planes have been a lot of work but we'll worth it. I know the day we get to fly them will be very special.

Well done!
Glenn

octagon

Thanks Glenn. I feel building this plane has taught me more than most builds I have done in the past. I am looking forward to, hopefully, 5 of these beasts in the air at once, if we can convince Colin and Piker to come out. And you are certainly correct, the day we maiden them all will be quite an event.

piker

Wild horses couldn't keep me away!!!   ;D

But in reality it's the wild wife I need to worry about   :o

Lookin' great, Rob. 

Michael

I tried installing landing gear, but finally decided I was unhappy with it. It has been removed.

Rob got us graphics, and I started applying them. They are not perfect, regarding the size and shape of the model, but they do a great job in making the plane look more scale.

Michael

Michael

My plane is basically finished and ready for flying.

Total weight including battery is 2.3 kilos, or 81 ounces, or 5 pounds and one ounce.

Assuming the maiden flight goes well, I'll do more decorations.
Michael