CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

electroflyer

Very nice!
  I really like the decals as well.
  Here is my 415. a few pictures outside today. Everything is glassed except the top side of Ailerons and Flaps. I will continue when I get back from vacation. In the meantime. the epoxy can fully cure.

electroflyer

By the way, the dark spots are Walnut coloured filler. my normal product of course was out of stock. ;D

piker

Hey Glenn.  That glass cloth needs a bit of smoothing  ;D

Keep up the good work guys (except Michael who's already finished).  I can hear the ice melting as we speak... well... maybe not.  But soon!

Michael

I wasn't exactly happy with my decals, so, with encouragement from Robert Pike, I've decided to make some changes. The photos here show the first change. The stripes weren't the right length and curves for my plane, so I used Monokote trim to make it look better. The colours and shapes aren't perfect, but I think it looks better.

Michael

Michael

More details.

Windows, doors and 'retracted' landing gear.

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

It's amazing how the small details like the doors, windows (portholes?) and (fake) retracts make it look like the real thing.  Thanks for the "Ontario" sponsorship.
Great build!

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

More detail on the top.

Michael

Wingnutz

Congratulations to the Three Amigos who built/are building the 415s!Over the last two days, I've read the whole thread and once again, I've been inspired to build by TEMAC  builders...probably never more so than by this thread. In one way I'm sorry I missed the build...in another way I'm completely intimidated by the thought of trying to keep up with you three building machines! Great job!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bweaver

Yes, @Wingnutz I agree. It is very inspiring to follow the projects, repairs, builds and the talent we have in the club.

NOTE: Share your projects with us.  They really are inspirational. They encourage us to acknowledge that this hobby is more than just people flying model airplanes. 

We build, we crash, we repair, we build, we crash, we repair...  and have fun sharing our experience/knowledge or lack there of with our cronies. We also purchase ready to fly planes, fly them, crash them and repair them... (I don't want to leave anybody out.)

That's what makes this hobby great!  Share it!

Michael

I'm working on the spray deflectors.

I painted these with primer, then sanded, and then enamel spray paint. The designated 'insides' were not painted as heavily and the wood grain was left alone so glue wood have something onto which to stick.

I cut of some covering, and glued them carefully into place.

Then more covering was removed and Windex-soaked balsa was glued on the protruding bottom insides. The Windex allows the balsa to be bent without cracking.

Michael

octagon

Michael, your plane looks great. I just returned from Jamaica and will resume finishing tonight. Thanks for doing all the detail work that I will now copy!
What could possibly go wrong?

electroflyer

Nice Michael!
  My aircraft is about to get the spray rail/chine as well. I need some warmer weather to complete the priming and smoothing. Then comes the colour. All parts are built and fiberglassed.
In the meantime, My new project is a 100" Airtronics OlympicII which I bought last year. Given all the planning required for construction of the CL415, this glider is a breeze! Wing is almost complete. Tail feathers and fuselage will probably be almost complete tomorrow!

Glenn

Michael

The wood is carefully cut and sanded and filed to a triangular shape (right side done; left side not done yet, in the first photo).

Then (acrylic) painted carefully with almost exact matching colour, and then sealed with a glossy water-based clear-coat.

Michael

octagon

Michael, you plane looks amazing. I am looking forward to you Glenn and I maidening the three planes (maybe at Rob Pikes place?). Anyway, i have found a way to make any plane you are building seem much larger. All you have to do is fiberglass the thing and then wet sand it with 400 wet or dry. You would be amazed how big a plane seems to get when you are sanding down glazing compound. I think I will regain use of my right arm in the next few weeks.
What could possibly go wrong?