CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

Yes Rob, it sucks! It could easily have been mine the day before. The fact is, I do not know how I was able to retain control of my CL415 when both ailerons went into a violent flutter with the subsequent partial on one side and total detachment on the other. I can only surmise that the differential throttle and large fin and rudder kept mine from the same fate. Turns out that I was correct. The Great planes Hinge material is not adhered properly and sheds the fiberglass binding. As a result, I have replaced the hinges with the flat nylon and metal pin style, they are staked and ca'd in place. I have also changed the horn to a conventional style horn to have more controlled throw and if need be, I may counter weight the Ailerons if the flutter rears its ugly head again.

As for your plane, many parts are salvageable, it is only a total right off if you make it so. Bruce and several others can attest to the total destruction of my Ercoupe two summers ago in the cornfield, That was the same plane you saw flying yesterday!

Glenn

Frank v B

Rob,

Painful!

Picking up on Glenn's comment whether it is repairable:

1) experts crash in the fewest pieces possible.  I count 6 pieces.  Relatively expert! :)
2) Let's divide and conquer.  I will offer to re-build the wing if you paint it.  That leaves you to tackle the fuse.  That's about 3 pieces each.

Remember the golden rule of fixing a crashed airplane  Put all the pieces in a corner of your workshop and it will start to fix itself. ;)

Frank

ps: I learned many a lesson over the years when there was an unexpected trim change on a plane.  Bring it down immediately and do not fly again until you have figured it out.  Last Sunday I flew my Hanger 9 P-51 and the trim changed immediately from the last flight.  I did an immediate downwind landing.  A connector had jammed between the aileron torque rod and the wing mount saddle. 

I have had trim changes caused as well by 2) a loose servo (servo pushes up when deflected one way) 3) a stripped servo horn and a wrong sized horn 4) a loose and cracked aileron horn. 5) a stripped gear inside the servo.  Stripped servo gears are especially dangerous because they usually behave properly around neutral and properly resist you stressing the surface but when fully deflected and it reaches the stripped portion, the pressure on the servo will neutralize the gear setting so when you let the stick go, it now causes a full deflection the other way.  Alaways put your best servos on the ailerons and elevator.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Frank, that's very nice of you.

My 2 cents:

Anything can be repaired: Consider my Adrian Page Piper Cub which suffered a near total destruction after a radio failure in Kingston a few years ago. I rebuilt it, and then a couple years ago, broke the wing in three pieces and the fuselage in several pieces, and rebuilt it again. Most people would not have rebuilt it in either circumstance.

That being said, the model was (and is still) a fantastic flyer, so I was motivated to rebuild. Our CL415s are challenging to fly, but I'm convinced they can be tamed and transformed into stable and reliable models.

If you really like the model, try to fix/rebuild it. Start by making one glue joint. Then make a new rib or former where needed. Brace a few repair joints. It may take many hours, but it can be done.

If you don't want to tackle what seems to be an overwhelming challenge, then don't. Just save the pieces in a bag in case you want to try someday.

There's lots of other models out there. You did replace your built-up Spitfire with a better and cheaper ARF.

Just don't get discouraged. Enjoy the aspects of the hobby that make you happy. We all still love you!  ;D

Michael

octagon

so I have not thrown anything out, it is all in a big plastic container. I have a couple other projects underway just now, a Sarik FW190 and also a 60 size Ultra Sport that I bought from Athol. He built the fuse and wing about 20 years ago, and did a beautiful job of construction. I have to build all the flying surfaces and fashion a hatch as the plane was designed for nitro. And of course install everything. It has mechanical retracts that I have to work out. But I just love my Ultra Sport 40 size, and would like to get the 60 in the air this year. I found a canopy that will work for it at the Aurora Swap meet for free. The CL will linger in it's plastic box for a bit. Frank, thanks so much for the offer to rebuild the wing. I will willingly take you up on that if I decide to try and fix it. And thank you guys for all your suggestions and support. It's what makes TEMAC the best RC club in the world!
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Rob,

Two comments- 
1)  Michael re-built the Cub with a hundred pieces.  You only have 6! ;)
2) rewrite your comment "I will willingly take you up on that if when I decide to try and fix it."  None of this IF-$hit. ;D

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Great encouragement guys!

It's true.  Very disheartening, especially on a new airplane that took so much time to build, and for this to happen when you just want to get on with other projects.  But I have faith it WILL go back together again with surprisingly little effort, compared to the build in the first place.

As another point of reference, you saw my Sandringham this winter.  Still not finished but very close.  I had written that plane off when it went in, but very quickly I decided it was worth rebuilding.  It was split open and crumpled and the wing was broken in half.  The repair started with glueing one bit to another, and before I knew it, it was starting to get its shape back again.  It's actually very satisfying to see a plane come back to life and eventually look as good as new.

Also, remember the hard fast rule of model airplane building.  They always fly better after their first repair.  You'll just get yours out of the way early   ;D

Let the plane settle for a bit while you work on other projects, but DO decide that you will repair it.  Then one day you'll go into your shop and take a look at the old bird and the desire to have it back will cause you to stick a couple of pieces together, then another.  Before you know it you'll be on a roll and having fun.

Robert

Michael

Last weekend.

Michael

Michael

Latest issue of Model Airplane News magazine.

Bittersweet.

Michael

bweaver

What a great picture of the three planes together.  A great project by all.

octagon

I forgot I sent that picture to them. They never contacted me to say they were using it. God I wish I could have saved that plane.
What could possibly go wrong?

Oscar

Earlier I had an opportunity to join Bruce, Frank and Glenn to fly at the Lake Scugog Float Flying club.

Here is the video I took when Glenn flew his CL-415. 

https://youtu.be/YOPeSXFILHo

Michael

My plane finally maidened off water at Scugog-Flyers, Port Perry.

Photos by David K.

Michael