1st Build class- Wed Oct 24

Started by Frank v B, October 19, 2018, 09:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

The first build class will be Wednesday, Oct 24.  Dinner first then down to the build meeting at 7:30 pm.
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend...'cause I want to live longer.*
Bruce will handle the class in the mean time.  Bring the plans of what you are going to build this winter like the three CL 415's planned by Michael, Glenn and Rob D.  Bring planes that did not win sudden contact with Mother Earth.

Piker has confirmed his attendance.  He will be building whatever he can find among the 2x4's in his house.

Frank

*Our anniversary
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

And if you just want to pass some time with other members, bring a pair of pliers and you can help me dismantle some orange crates and work on some WW motor mounta and reinforcement pieces.   ::)

piker

I'm still trying to decide how to participate in the build classes this year.  My at home building plans for the winter involve finishing a few aircraft projects that I've had on the go for a long time, but that sort of thing can't be done very well remotely.  I'm thinking of starting another plane for the build class.  Yikes!!!

We'll see on Wednesday.  Looking forward to it!!!!

Robert

sihinch

Did you finish your last plane, Robert?  :-*

piker

No.  That's what I'll be working on at home this winter  ;)  I have several planes to finish.

My problem is I like the starting and the construction part of the building, but I find the finishing part boring.

piker

Like Frank, I have figured out what I plan to do during the build classes this winter.  Since Simon gave me a hard time about starting yet ANOTHER plane construction before finishing the many I have on the go, I decided I would get into a project that should be manageable during the build classes and something I hadn't allotted the time for as an at home project this winter, but something I really want to get done.

If you look to the left (in my small profile picture) you'll see my beloved Macchi M-33 that I build many years ago, and crashed a couple of years ago.  I will be going through the process to repair this model and show some of my techniques.  I'll spread the process over the build class season and hopefully have a nicely repaired model ready to go for the spring.

Can't wait for the build class tomorrow!!

Robert

bweaver

For those that can make it tonight, I am bringing out an indoor combat warwing I have designed and built.  Plans will be available if you wish to take on the challenge to build and fly the plane (target).

Also, tonight @sihinch  (Simon) will receive his winter build kit that was inadvertently awarded to @Frank v B at the CUB FUN DAY held earlier this season.

This kit would have been useless to Frank anyways, because in order for the completed plane to be guaranteed to fly, the builder would have had to have followed the instructions. (Refer to photos below)

I apologize to Simon for the delay in his receiving his just reward.

bweaver

Well it was a fine evening last night except for some delays in getting service etc. upstairs before the meeting.  Hasn't happened before.  I hope it doesn't happen again.

Anyways, down stairs we went. 

To start off the evening, Simon received his long overdue 3rd place prize he won at the Cub Fun Day event. 

Simon went on to repair his jet.  While working on his jet he was supervised by BJ, Richard, Ken and Carlos.

Then once finished Simon moved in with the 'in crowd' and helped with recovering the essential motor mount components from the invaluable clementine boxes.  All the while everyone was industrious in the task at hand, Ken R. added his two cents worth with a complaint every time he removed a staple. If it wasn't a complaint then, it was advice on how to improve or reduce the work involved in the task next year... Others took on the task more seriously (like sowers at a quilting bee, or knitters at a knit off - I hope you get the picture).  Little did Ken know how much work this group saved me this year.

Rob Pike worked diligently on his own in working on his Macchi M-33.  This is a repair/recovery project that I am sure will turn out to be super aircraft.

Rob Dickinson attended dinner and socialized down stairs for a while, but had an excuse to promptly leave when the pliers were being handed out. 

Everyone that participated in the motor mount task will receive a credit on their next Warwing purchase reducing their costs by the value of their efforts and materials.  (Sounds good, doesn't amount to a hill of beans.)  I really do appreciate your assistance.

As the evening went on the discussions were both entertaining and informative.  Simon indicated that he is wishing to create a special aircraft out of his blue foam Warwing kit materials.  Simon said that more details on this will be forthcoming from him directly.

I advised Simon that I plan on doing something as well using the blue foam delta wing format.  (A photo of my desired task is provided below - a Dyke Delta JD 2.)