Re-building the Kangke P-51 mini Mustang 27" span.

Started by Frank v B, May 19, 2019, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

This is another plane that fell into the back of my car (Thanks Rudie).  I have had it before and put in a 150 watt bell motor but had an awkward 10" prop.  This time found a hot Turnigy at a swap meet for $10.  This can take up to 4 S and produce 350 watts. Put a 7" prop on 3S and about 175 watts.  Sorry EdEdge.

It flew fine yesterday but take-offs were scary because it only had 3 channel (no rudder).  Took off fine on the 4th attempt once I compensated for the take-off turn.  It took off 90 degrees from the start point.  I put it on the runway and pointed it towards the flag pole at the south-most pilot station and did its left turn while picking up speed.

Last night I added a rudder servo to avoid this mess when the flying season gets busy.  See photos

Frank

ps: for those eagle eyed members, I will put in the servo horn screws later.
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Re: Last night I added a rudder servo to avoid this mess when the flying season gets busy. 

@Frank v B - When are you going to add the rudder?   :-*

Frank v B

Bruce,

The rudder was always there but pinned straight.  Even I have the ability to remove a pin. ;D

Frank

bweaver

Frank v B

An extra adjustment- bent the landing gear outward so the track would be wider and tracked better on take-off. The original LG legs came down 90 degrees from the wing.  Each leg now has 2 bends to bring the wheels outboard.  Remarkable improvement in tracking for take-off.
Still need to attach the tail wheel.  Made the parts last night.

Frank

SeeFernando

-Chris