Frank's EP Supersportster re-build

Started by Frank v B, November 03, 2018, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

I can't keep track of the dozens of building projects that Frank is working on.  My head is spinning!    :o

Some are for other people, some are for going really fast, some are for planting... I'm confused.  Do you guys (Andy, Bruce) follow what's going on?

Robert

bweaver

Quote from: piker on December 19, 2018, 09:30:07 AM
I can't keep track of the dozens of building projects that Frank is working on.  My head is spinning!    :o

Some are for other people, some are for going really fast, some are for planting... I'm confused.  Do you guys (Andy, Bruce) follow what's going on?

Robert

In response to your question: When it comes to @Frank v B , I try not to.  I find it easier and less confusing that way.   ;)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on December 19, 2018, 09:30:07 AM

Robert

Hi @piker

I absolutely get what's going on. @Frank v B has been blessed with the attention span of Siphonaptera and simply cannot help but bounce deftly from one project to another, 5-minute epoxy in hand.  If Cynthia can just get some epoxy on the seat of his pants, plebes like us may eventually get to see him sit still long enough to stick with one project through to completion at sub-sonic speed!   8).

Envious Andy

Frank v B

OOOOHHHHH! some replies are warranted:

re: Bruce's breaking off his wings symmetrically and the prop spinning madly.... so that's why you sponsored the car track at the field.  Fly a model until it breaks then drive it around the race course.  I get it. ;)  Smart man. :)

re: Andy's Syphonophtera-  had to Google it.  "Fleas are small flightless insects that form the order Siphonaptera. As external parasites of mammals and birds, they live by consuming the blood of their hosts".  Am I that bad?  As a modeller I am not offended by calling me a "flea" but calling me "flightless" crosses the line.  8)

re: Piker- what project am I working on now?  I am an opportunistic modeller.  If John's Hobbies calls me to do a repair, I give it priority because he pays me in store credits, which allowed me to order the V900.  Then he phones me that the V900 has arrived so I need to pick it up instantly before he sees the light and sells it to Simon.  When Rudie Nagelmakers throws the EP Sportster into the back of my car I have to finish the adoption process by rebuilding it... then Michael gave me retracts so they had to be used in the Sportster project.  It's a real problem being surrounded by many nice people.... and Andy. ;)

I now know how much time each project will take so I can allot my time to get everything finished over the Holidays.

Piker, what don't you understand?  Just because I am the poster child for senior citizens with ADD and spokesman for the "2 minute epoxy" development group.  Five minutes is soooo slow.

Frank :D
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on December 19, 2018, 04:06:08 PM
OOOOHHHHH! some replies are warranted:

re: Bruce's breaking off his wings symmetrically and the prop spinning madly.... so that's why you sponsored the car track at the field.  Fly a model until it breaks then drive it around the race course.  I get it. ;)  Smart man. :)

@Frank v B  Not only are you experiencing ADD, you are hallucinating or experiencing a delusional disorder. You have obviously mistaken me for someone else.  While I am a 'smart man', I do not, did not and will not likely have any role in the development, maintenance, operation or enjoyment of the car track at the field.  (Not that there is anything wrong with car track at the field.) 

Further, you somewhat resemble the flightless individual depicted below.

Frank v B

Bruce:

re:"Further, you somewhat resemble the flightless individual depicted below."

;D ;D

Frank v B

A photo of the wheel in place before filling the gap back up.

Frank v B

Update: 
- both sides are done. 
- The gear is operating
- the center section is fibreglassed... with a few strips of carbon.
- the wheel wells were filled back in.

Since the retracts were installed individually, there was no dihedral brace to join the halves.  This was solved by wrapping and 5 minute epoxying some fibreglass on the joint.  The few strips of carbon were just some insurance. (belt and suspenders)

Frank

Frank v B

Covered the wing, installed the retracts. I will spray the wheel well red after all the covering is finished

Note that the port aileron pulled out after gluing.  Will have to re-do it.

Off to Christmas brunch before I am called "Scrooge".... again.

Merry-Whatever you are celebrating today, even if it is just a day off.

One week until the New Year's Fool Fly. ;D

Frank

notice that I got the flash reflection just right to tee Andy off.  That's skill. ;D 8)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 25, 2018, 09:56:30 AM
Covered the wing, installed the retracts. I will spray the wheel well red after all the covering is finished

Note that the port aileron pulled out after gluing.  Will have to re-do it.

Off to Christmas brunch before I am called "Scrooge".... again.

Merry-Whatever you are celebrating today, even if it is just a day off.

One week until the New Year's Fool Fly. ;D

Frank

notice that I got the flash reflection just right to tee Andy off.  That's skill. ;D 8)

For those wishing to protect their retinas while salivating over @Frank v B 's masterful craftsmanship ......   8)

Andy

bweaver

@Andy Hoffer  Your improvements enhancements for protecting our retinas only half finished the job. 

Why didn't you finish off the wheel wells too, because I can't imagine what they will look like when they are done.   ???  ;)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on December 25, 2018, 11:13:27 PM
@Andy Hoffer  Your improvements enhancements for protecting our retinas only half finished the job. 

Why didn't you finish off the wheel wells too, because I can't imagine what they will look like when they are done.   ???  ;)

Hi @bweaver

The thought had crossed my mind, but I felt it just wouldn't be nice to scoop @Frank v B and dampen his enthusiasm on Christmas.  And I'm sure there will be plenty to work on when he has finished the project!! 8)

Andy

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: your "Why didn't you finish off the wheel wells too, because I can't imagine what they will look like when they are done.   ???  ;)"

From my original post "I will spray the wheel well red after all the covering is finished". So please be patient.

I have signed you up for the remedial reading course.  Good luck. ;)

Andy:

Thank you for the concern.  You can never dampen my spirits, even on Christmas.  Model building is not "an escape to something" it is always an "escape from something like work, family pressures, or in my case, Bruce".  ;)

Frank

Frank v B

covering 101 completed.

Frank v B

DONE

Final assembly completed.  Motor tested, prop installed, 45 amp esc, FM radio.

Don't like the prop combo yet.  It draws 27 amps on 5 cells with an 11x11 prop.  360 watts. 
Have the winter to fine-tune it.  Will also add trim striping.

Note in the photos that there is toe-out on the main wheels.  Will twist them back so there is toe-in.

Ready to fly. 

Frank

Andy, note the reflection of the Christmas tree lights on the wing on the left side of the photo (photo of the top and bottom) 8) 8)