Frank's EP Supersportster re-build

Started by Frank v B, November 03, 2018, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Love the Christmas tree lights!  Love the 72 MHz FM antenna wire!

Beautiful job @Frank v B .

All you need to do is get right down on the floor and do 3/4 frontal and 3/4 rear shots.

Andy  8)

sihinch

Looks great Frank. Congrats.

Something doesn't sound right with those current and prop figures. 27 amps on 5 cells should be over 500 watts at least.

bweaver

Great Spray Job on spraying those wheel wells.  Did you use a clear spray for that natural look?  ???

http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6818.msg45272.html#msg45272
http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6818.msg45295.html#msg45295

I read it the first time, I read it the second time and Frank, you still haven't got it done.  You know I don't have much patience. 

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: "You know I don't have much patience."

If patience is a virtue, what are you saying about yourself?? ;)

I will get it done for you, Master.  This year even. Will post a photo by December 31 at 11:59 pm.

Frank

Simon,  I was suspect about the numbers but put the prop on before ever putting the plane on extended landing gear.  My fear of ground clearance is not an issue at all.  Will go to a larger diameter prop.  It is a fairly low KV motor for its size so it will like the larger prop versus higher pitch. A 4 cell pack only got it up to about 18 amps.  Remember, I have limited experience with anything above 4 cells. :)

Andy, the 72 meg antenna wire was just for you.  You appreciate the finer points in life.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on December 29, 2018, 11:19:43 PM
Looks great Frank. Congrats.

Something doesn't sound right with those current and prop figures. 27 amps on 5 cells should be over 500 watts at least.

Hey @Frank v B ,

Maybe try LiPos instead of the NiCads that came with the Sportster.  :D

Andy

bweaver

I forgot to mention that I really do like the creative color scheme you selected...

Is that plane coming or going?  Is that the top or bottom?  Oh yeh, I see it now, that's the bottom... I can tell by the wheel wells.   

PLANT!   8)

Frank v B

Oh, Bruce.  So critical.... from a man who flies "Factory Blue" foam.  This plane has a vertical surface on the back known as a fin/rudder.  When it points up, the plane is right side up.  I will make sure your instructor covers that with you in your next flying lesson.;)

Couldn't leave you in pain for any longer.

photo 1 - wing wells masked
photo 2 - wing wells spray painted.  Will apply a second coat of paint when I return from my errands. (completed 12:12 pm today)

Frank

Andy, please note the ample amount of reflection on the wood floor.  The wood floor in the background is original 1923 quarter cut oak.  Hell, in 4 years my house will be declared a historic site.  Probably applies to the inhabitants too. ;)

bweaver

Why do you think they made me CFI.  I know why planes fly.

Frank v B

Bruce, you are so knowledgeable.

Now can you colour it? 

:) :)

Frank

ps: We have to make sure the Ryerson Aeronautics group get a copy of this. :D

sihinch

Hey Frank, I still think there's something odd about the power figures, irrespective of the prop.

If we assume 3.8v per cell under load, for the 4S calculation (15.2 volts) and 18 amps you would expect to see 270 watts.

For the 5S and 27 amps you should see 510 watts.

Are you sure the motor is OK?

Frank v B

Simon,

I am going back to square one on this motor thing. 
I did not charge the battery, could not find the Rimfire stats (the new one is 800 kv, not mine at 600 kv) and did not test the battery voltage.  Could have a bad cell for all I know.  The motor sounded fine but not the growl I was expecting.  Leave it with me and I will do a full report on this thread.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 30, 2018, 11:07:50 AM
Oh, Bruce.  So critical.... from a man who flies "Factory Blue" foam.  This plane has a vertical surface on the back known as a fin/rudder.  When it points up, the plane is right side up.  I will make sure your instructor covers that with you in your next flying lesson.;)

Couldn't leave you in pain for any longer.

photo 1 - wing wells masked
photo 2 - wing wells spray painted.  Will apply a second coat of paint when I return from my errands. (completed 12:12 pm today)

Frank

Andy, please note the ample amount of reflection on the wood floor.  The wood floor in the background is original 1923 quarter cut oak.  Hell, in 4 years my house will be declared a historic site.  Probably applies to the inhabitants too. ;)

Hey @Frank v B ,

Great paint job!  This thread is almost as addictive as the Big Bang Theory marathon.  I love the booties on the wheels!  And the now monochrome servo leads on the retracts!!  You are a true artiste.  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Maidened the SuperSportster today.  It flies like it's on rails.  Amazing flyer.  It definitely has a lot of power and prop.

It jumped off the ground at half throttle and was very flyable from the minute it took off.  Only minor trims required.  I used the Jim Spence method of landing with retracts.... retracted.  They always rip out on landings so no need to re-prove that the wheel is round.  Flew on 4S, 30 amps, 440 watts, Graupner 11x11 prop.

Only one thing to fix.  The plane noses over on take-off so have to take off a very smooth part of the runway and when there is a gust.  It nosed over about 5 times.  Sorry Graham.  I own two of the prop strikes.  I'll buy the club a roll of Gorilla tape as punishment.

Two changes will fix that:
1) Move the CG back a bit.  Will do this in my shop because I do not want the battery restricting servo travel.
2) Change the wheels from round profile to square so it does not dig into the runway.  Dave Brown wheels have a square profile.  Have to keep the same (small) diameter because of the size of the wheel well.

Nice plane.  Worth the work.

Frank

bweaver

I will vouch that it flew 'fine' once he got it airborne.

@Frank v B Re:  It nosed over about 5 times. 

That's when Frank stopped counting.  ::)

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: That's when Frank stopped counting.  ::)

Well, I had the transmitter in my left hand so I could only count the fingers on my right hand!

Frank