Frank's EP Supersportster re-build

Started by Frank v B, November 03, 2018, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Changed the wheels.

The new ones (right) are the same diameter but about twice as wide.  The tread area is flatter and not rounded.
This should help the wheels from digging into the runway material while the ground is still soft.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Re: This should help the wheels from digging into the runway material while the ground is still soft.

How heavy was that plane?  Should we have had a warning too, saying "Frank, keep your Supersportster off the runway!"

Frank v B

Bruce,

Do the math.  It is not that the plane is heavy.... it's that the wheels are small.  You would call them "hubs without rubber". ;)

Frank

bweaver

Regardless of the size of wheels, aren't they carrying the same weight?  (You should have used the wider wheels in the first place had you done the math.)  ;) Right back at you buddy.

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: "Regardless of the size of wheels, aren't they carrying the same weight?"

Twice the width equals half the pounds per square inch.

I assure you that if your feet went from a size 6 to a size 12 your floors would feel the difference... and kiss your feet. ;D

Frank

bweaver

@Frank v B , does going from a size 6 to 11 count?  They creak more now than they did when I was a size 6, but then again at that time I was probably only an adorable little 7 year old.   ::)

Frank v B

Wow, what a nice flying airplane!! 

The retracts make it look like a Spitfire without elliptical wings.  The wheels work fine now for take-offs.  The plane jumps off the ground after about two feet.  The retracts work well but I use the Jim Spence method of landing with retracts.... retracted.  They always rip out on landing.  Belly landings are easy.  The flying is done on 4 cells.

Well worth the effort.  Thank you Rudie*

Frank

*the plane was donated by Rudie Nagelmakers of the Beeton Flyers