Repair for a friend

Started by Michael, November 23, 2018, 06:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Simon asked me to finish repairing his E-Flite EF-1 Shoestring racer. The landing gear was ripped out when I did a poor job of helping to launch it at our EF-1 racing event several months ago.

Anyway, Simon already glued in the plywood plate to which the landing gear is attached. I probably would not have done that first, since it would have been better to glue in all the broken bits at the same time. Anyway, I will proceed with things as is.

Michael

Michael

Damaged area behind the landing gear plywood plate is "squared off".

Rear former repaired and glued in place.

Broken balsa bits forward of the landing gear plywood plate are removed, and small former is carefully glued back in place.
Michael

Michael

Broken hardwood spar examined, and a new piece of hardwood cut to match neatly, then glued in.

Michael

Michael

More spars (longerons?) glued in to help support the sheeting.

Forward section sheeted with wet 1/16th balsa sheet. The wet balsa bends easier.
Michael

Michael

Rear sheeting, half at a time.
Michael

Polecat

Good repair job Michael, this must have happened at our May race. Tell Simon to use some nylon bolts, they will break if you have a hard landing and do less damage.

Michael

Great idea!

That's what I use on mine.
Michael

Michael

Covering applied. The colour is an exact match, and my application is about an 8 out of 10 job, but that's ok, because the repair is under the wing, and no one will notice it.

I don't have nylon bolts, but I put rubber o-rings between the plane and the landing gear to give a tiny bit of suspension. Simon should try to find the correct size nylon bolts and use them instead.

Repair finished; the plane is ready to race.
Michael

Polecat

Looks good, I sold that Shoestring to Simon, the wing sheeting was bad, needed sanded, filled and recovered. The quality of the Eflite Shoestring ARF's are really poor. Can't believe Horizon has kept them on the market and told Tower Hobbies to drop the Great Planes Proud Bird.

bweaver

Great repair thread.  Very helpful tips and cautions, especially useful for someone who has bought an Eflite Shoestring ARF for his first aircraft stepping into EF1 racing. 

(I know who to ask for advice and guidance if I questions relating to the need for future repairs...)

Simon, please let me know where you get your nylon bolts from.  I am also going to employ 'O rings' as well. Thanks!

sihinch

Wow, thanks so much Michael!  I'm a very lucky friend.  :D

When I find some bolts Bruce, I will let you know.  ;)

Polecat

Quote from: sihinch on November 24, 2018, 04:59:40 PM
Wow, thanks so much Michael!  I'm a very lucky friend.  :D

When I find some bolts Bruce, I will let you k

Simon  I think the nylon bolts are 6mm, but not sure. Try the landing gear bolts on your Dara, I think they where 6mm.

Ken