Warwing inspired Space Shuttle

Started by sihinch, November 24, 2018, 07:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Last year I read a fabulous book called "Into the Black" by Roland White, about the Space Shuttle program. It was an amazing book and will go down as one of my all time great reads. I've always been amazed by the Space Shuttle and can just about remember watching the first flights.

Anyway, after reading the book and building a few of Bruce's Warwings, I was inspired to try and build a foam board Space Shuttle.

A few weeks ago I built a "proof of concept" model using Dollarama foam board which a few of you may have seen.

Today I went to Lowe's and bought 2 sheets of blue foam and started measuring. Here is the wing plan form cut to scale.

I plan to use a tractor prop drive with a black spinner because I want the prop wash over the control surfaces.

Let's see how it goes.....

bweaver

Due to my predisposition to Blue Foam...,  I am very excited about following your project and look forward to watching the shuttles construction progress, completion and really look forward to its future flights.

I thought I would contribute to your the construction blog, in that I had taken a few pictures at this past Wednesday evening's build class where you were proceeding with working on drawing out and cutting some of the blue foam elements.

I have also given more thought to a potential propulsion system you may wish to consider using.  (I would be happy collaborate on the proposed propulsion system should you wish. (Not purchasing it mind you.)  Just helping to custom build one. (Refer to the last picture below.)

Just think of this shuttle flying with the propulsion system retracted and the scale space shuttle gliding down effortlessly and majestically to land on TEMAC's runway.   ::)

Frank v B

Bruce,

It should work better than the power system my wife was suggesting for Simon's project. 
Five speed and counter rotating. ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Well, I've done some more building/designing/planning today!

Over the past weeks I was thinking about making it an EDF model. But after looking at my 70mm Fans and the size of this model, I decided to stick with a tractor prop.

Frank tipped me off about an ME-109 spinner, which I bought. And I think it looks OK.

Today I added the center spine to the wing and have done some planning for the motor fitment.  Also done some drawing to see about making the tail fin detachable, using magnets to keep it in place during flight.

Sorry I'm only building with foam!!!

bweaver

The Space Shuttle is materializing!  Wonderful!

Perfect nose cone/motor. 

octagon

Love your drawings Simon. They remind me of Picasso!
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

I just bought 20 small round magnets from Lee Valley, for $15.
Michael

sihinch

More progress today. Felt odd cutting the shape apart - hope I haven't ruined it!

Measured the spinner and motor and cut the nose off!  :o

I then added some card as reinforcement before I add the motor mount.

Then once I'd cut some rear formers I cut the tail off!  :o

I'll build a box for the tail to sit in.

octagon

Coming along great Simon. I look forward to seeing this thing go! And don't worry about making a mistake. The great thing about building is you can ALWAYS fix it. I am living proof of that rule.

sihinch

More progress at NASA over the last week, with the Space Shuttle Orbiter!

It's a funny build. The idea and concept was very clear but I feel that as I build one step, the next 2 or 3 are clear but they uncover challenges or questions about how to achieve the end result.  For example, I knew how I was going to do the booster pods at the rear, but now the frame is built for them to mount to, I wonder how to do the sides. And then, even with the sides, I'm wondering about which of several options is the best way to get the cargo bay door curve!

Anyway, the steps I have progressed are:
The tail has been reinforced with carbon and modge podge hardener.
The tail slot has been built.
The angled booster pod mounting has been added at the rear.
The wooden motor mount has been added, and the nose has been "layered" so I can carve the nose curves. Still more to do there.
And today the wing has been reinforced with carbon.

Some days I'm happy with progress, others I feel I'm spending time making a cartoon, silly model.  I'll keep going though.

octagon

Simon, looks great and I look forward to seeing it in the air. I think any of those of us who build find it is often one step forward and two back. Hmmmm, now that I have glued it, how do I get it undone to do what I should have done before I glued it?
I like to come home from work and spend a couple of hours or so working on whatever I am building. Sometimes I come up stairs and Marg says "didn't go well tonight eh"? I say, how did you know? She says she can hear parts hitting the walls.  Childish, but there is a certain satisfaction for the 10 year old in me . Keep at it man.

bweaver

AlexShao

Simon, useful web for CG calculation.

http://rcwingcog.a0001.net/?i=1

FYI

Quote from: sihinch on November 24, 2018, 07:45:26 PM
Last year I read a fabulous book called "Into the Black" by Roland White, about the Space Shuttle program. It was an amazing book and will go down as one of my all time great reads. I've always been amazed by the Space Shuttle and can just about remember watching the first flights.

Anyway, after reading the book and building a few of Bruce's Warwings, I was inspired to try and build a foam board Space Shuttle.

A few weeks ago I built a "proof of concept" model using Dollarama foam board which a few of you may have seen.

Today I went to Lowe's and bought 2 sheets of blue foam and started measuring. Here is the wing plan form cut to scale.

I plan to use a tractor prop drive with a black spinner because I want the prop wash over the control surfaces.

Let's see how it goes.....

sihinch

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some help please.

Is there a tool available for cutting a long foam strip so the edge has an angle? I'm taking about 3ft long.

Like this...

bweaver

@sihinch When I cut an angle into blue foam or other type of foam, I use a fine point pen, ruler, sharp knife and a sanding block to finish off the angle as desired.

At the edge of the foam where I wish to cut off the strip to make the desired angle, I draw a line on one side of the foam defining the extent of the angle where the foam will be trimmed off from the defining line on top of the foam to the edge of the bottom of the foam. 

Due to the nature of half inch foam and the quality of knife used will in most instances not allow you to trim off the foam in one cutting sweep.  So I will shave off the strip using the defining line at the top and the bottom of the foam as my guide for trimming the foam.  Once most of the foam is trimmed away, I then clean up the angle by sanding it smooth along the length of the cut. I like to use a combination of my Dura-grit sanding/file and a good sanding block. 

It works for me and doesn't take that long to do it.  Avoid cutting too deeply into the foam.

There may be a tool that others may have or another way of doing it, but this works for me, while using the tools I have readily at hand.

I also wish to add that for the strongest bond for blue foam, I find that Gorilla Glue and its expanding action using moisture per the manufacturers instructions works best for me where the exposed foam joint is not going to be a visual problem.  The expanding foam glue fills in spaces where the joined pieces may not abut perfectly.