Warwing inspired Space Shuttle

Started by sihinch, November 24, 2018, 07:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

The home made decals and finish look fantastic. 

The forward thrusters are hardly noticeable and when activated will become invisible.

Any idea as to when you plan to maiden it?   

Looks great Simon.

sihinch

Well it won't be ready for this Wednesday, and this weekend I can't fly.

So maybe Wed 15th May? Or at Jets Day on Sunday 19th May.

piker

VERY cool, Simon.  It's amazing how you've evolved that build concept!

It'll be so cool in the air.

Will there be enough thrust for a vertical take-off?

Candu

Very nice build, Simon!  Thanks for sharing. How do you make home made decals?

sihinch

I print them on this paper using a regular ink jet printer and then spray them with clear lacquer.

Hayes Paper, Waterslide Decal Paper Inkjet Clear 20 Sheets Premium Water-Slide Transfer Transparent Printable Water Slide Decals A4 Size https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077TMFVL9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_upb2CbX4HBG6X

There's clear or white paper. For things like US flags or the Canadian flag, you need a white background.

sihinch

Endeavour is balanced and ready to fly!

I will bring it on Wednesday to training night.

Rain date will be Jets Day, next Sunday.

bweaver

Simon, I can't wait to watch it take off from the Cape.

I'm sure many more will be coming out to witness it.  T - 10-9-8...   :)

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: "I'm sure many more will be coming out to witness it.  T - 10-9-8...   :)"

I will be there to count down past 8.  This is going to take all the gray matter we can muster.   ;)

Should be a fun maiden.  Best looking insulation project.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Quote from: Frank v B on May 12, 2019, 03:47:24 PM
Bruce:

re: "I'm sure many more will be coming out to witness it.  T - 10-9-8...   :)"

I will be there to count down past 8.  This is going to take all the gray matter we can muster.   ;)

Should be a fun maiden.  Best looking insulation project.

Frank

Yellow matter custard?
Michael

Frank v B

We had lift-off!!

The maiden flight took place today at Rogo Field.  Scary awesome but Simon managed to trim it out and land it in one piece.  A great project.

Frank

bweaver

It did fly wonderfully.  It truly looked like the actual space shuttle soaring by...  I loved it.  :)

If you want to see a terrible video taken by yours truly, go to Facebook.

Michael

Michael

sihinch

Well it certainly flew and came down in 1 piece but it was quite possibly the flight I've enjoyed the least!!!

Why? It was a handful. It was super sensitive in the roll, and took quite some time to get trimmed. And the gyro I had in there was not calibrated accurately for level flight so I couldn't turn it on. And it needed full throttle to fly with any kind of authority.

Unfortunately, just as I was getting the hang of it, I lost motor power and had to do a downwind deadstick landing. It came down Ok in the field with minimal "re-entry" damage.

After flight inspection identified some cracks in the vertical fin, despite 5 carbon rods. Need to fiberglass it, I think.

When I tried to go for a second flight the motor didn't want to turn and I got a funny smell. Since NASA is so strict about safety I aborted the mission and returned the Orbiter to Space Dock.

When I removed and inspected the motor at home, I found the red motor wire had burned through. So I fried the (brand new) motor. Not sure why, maybe Frank read the power stats wrong!!!!! After the flight, if I can find one, I would ideally get a lower kV motor and try a prop with more thrust (and less pitch.)

So, she will fly again, but it will be a while.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on May 15, 2019, 08:30:05 PM
We had lift-off!!

The maiden flight took place today at Rogo Field.  Scary awesome but Simon managed to trim it out and land it in one piece.  A great project.

Frank

Hi @sihinch !  Congrats on the maiden.  The Shuttle looks fantastic, especially the heat shield!! :D
Best of luck on the refurb mission.

Andy

Frank v B

Simon,

What motor did you use on the first flight?

Frank