• March 26, 2019, 08:10:50 pm
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

!!

TEMAC Forum Guests

Please take the time to Register for the forum, especially if you are a TEMAC club member.

This is one of the most active RC club forums in Ontario. Please participate in the discussion to help our great club to continue to grow.

Author Topic: Warwing inspired Space Shuttle  (Read 682 times)

Offline Crazyflyer

• Captain
  • TEMAC #: 229
Re: Warwing inspired Space Shuttle
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 01:51:07 pm »
With blue or pink foam you can also use sandpaper. If you want to do sand a long section, make a sanding block with a long piece of wood and use a roll of sandpaper that you either staple of use a tacky spray glue. A long sanding block makes a more even "cut" for long material

Offline AlexShao

• Airman
  • Started Flying RC: 2016
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 02:07:16 pm »
Simon,

I have a tool can cut the foam, but not sure it can help you.

Hi everyone - I’m looking for some help please.

Is there a tool available for cutting a long foam strip so the edge has an angle? I’m taking about 3ft long.

Like this...

Offline sihinch

• TEMAC Past-President
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • TEMAC #: 124
  • Started Flying RC: 1987
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 05:10:59 pm »
Thanks for your advice Bruce and Stephan, and your offer of tools Alex. In the end I did it manually, as Bruce suggested, using the (amazing and brilliant) DuraGRIT sanding tool!

So here is the result! Formers and side added to one side! Booster pod ready to be sanded.

It’s coming on!

Offline battlestu

• TEMAC Events guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • Misutā Supākoru
  • TEMAC #: 83
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 02:58:30 pm »
oh wow... will those payload doors be operational?
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Offline sihinch

• TEMAC Past-President
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 05:46:26 pm »
Here’s my answer Greg...

Offline sihinch

• TEMAC Past-President
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 11:13:15 am »
I've been quietly making more progress on the Space Shuttle.  Again, some days I am happy with how it is coming along and others I worry that it won't fly!

I showed Arden at A&J the photo and he said "oh wow, little wing. I hope it will be stable!?"  That was inspiring. So I added an EagleTree Guardian gyro.

So, the progress - hinges and control horns added to the elevons, servos are in, motor is mounted, ESC is wired up, both sides have been added, the inner bulkheads have been cut for wire runs, the nose sides are on and I've also cut the 2 angled side pieces.

I also weighed it - so far, with all electronics except battery, it weighs 2lbs without the tail, top doors, booster pods and elevons.

Offline AlexShao

• Airman
  • Started Flying RC: 2016
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 05:53:52 pm »
If build a similar plane and power by 2 70MM EDF, it will be interesting.

I've been quietly making more progress on the Space Shuttle.  Again, some days I am happy with how it is coming along and others I worry that it won't fly!

I showed Arden at A&J the photo and he said "oh wow, little wing. I hope it will be stable!?"  That was inspiring. So I added an EagleTree Guardian gyro.

So, the progress - hinges and control horns added to the elevons, servos are in, motor is mounted, ESC is wired up, both sides have been added, the inner bulkheads have been cut for wire runs, the nose sides are on and I've also cut the 2 angled side pieces.

I also weighed it - so far, with all electronics except battery, it weighs 2lbs without the tail, top doors, booster pods and elevons.

Offline bweaver

• Ace
  • TEMAC #: 169
  • Started Flying RC: 1979
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 06:58:21 pm »
@sihinch  Looking great.  Really coming along.   

I found the video informative yet ambiguous.   

But the question remains, will the pay load doors be operational?  If they aren't operational, then what are you going to be hiding inside the shuttle?

By the way, respecting your concerns about the outcome of your efforts; I know for a fact that with your piloting skills and when this magnificent space shuttle is completed, it will fly

The real question you should be asking is, how far, or for how long? 

(Sorry Simon, never admit to having doubts about the flying ability of the craft you are building, or there are consequences.)

That gives me an idea  ::), let's start a pool.  Everyone can participate.  Think of the anticipation and excitement.