Warwing inspired Space Shuttle

Started by sihinch, November 24, 2018, 07:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyflyer

With blue or pink foam you can also use sandpaper. If you want to do sand a long section, make a sanding block with a long piece of wood and use a roll of sandpaper that you either staple of use a tacky spray glue. A long sanding block makes a more even "cut" for long material

AlexShao

Simon,

I have a tool can cut the foam, but not sure it can help you.

Quote from: sihinch on January 13, 2019, 09:40:11 AM
Hi everyone - I'm looking for some help please.

Is there a tool available for cutting a long foam strip so the edge has an angle? I'm taking about 3ft long.

Like this...

sihinch

Thanks for your advice Bruce and Stephan, and your offer of tools Alex. In the end I did it manually, as Bruce suggested, using the (amazing and brilliant) DuraGRIT sanding tool!

So here is the result! Formers and side added to one side! Booster pod ready to be sanded.

It's coming on!

battlestu

oh wow... will those payload doors be operational?
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

sihinch

I've been quietly making more progress on the Space Shuttle.  Again, some days I am happy with how it is coming along and others I worry that it won't fly!

I showed Arden at A&J the photo and he said "oh wow, little wing. I hope it will be stable!?"  That was inspiring. So I added an EagleTree Guardian gyro.

So, the progress - hinges and control horns added to the elevons, servos are in, motor is mounted, ESC is wired up, both sides have been added, the inner bulkheads have been cut for wire runs, the nose sides are on and I've also cut the 2 angled side pieces.

I also weighed it - so far, with all electronics except battery, it weighs 2lbs without the tail, top doors, booster pods and elevons.

AlexShao

If build a similar plane and power by 2 70MM EDF, it will be interesting.

Quote from: sihinch on February 27, 2019, 11:13:15 AM
I've been quietly making more progress on the Space Shuttle.  Again, some days I am happy with how it is coming along and others I worry that it won't fly!

I showed Arden at A&J the photo and he said "oh wow, little wing. I hope it will be stable!?"  That was inspiring. So I added an EagleTree Guardian gyro.

So, the progress - hinges and control horns added to the elevons, servos are in, motor is mounted, ESC is wired up, both sides have been added, the inner bulkheads have been cut for wire runs, the nose sides are on and I've also cut the 2 angled side pieces.

I also weighed it - so far, with all electronics except battery, it weighs 2lbs without the tail, top doors, booster pods and elevons.

bweaver

@sihinch  Looking great.  Really coming along.   

I found the video informative yet ambiguous.   

But the question remains, will the pay load doors be operational?  If they aren't operational, then what are you going to be hiding inside the shuttle?

By the way, respecting your concerns about the outcome of your efforts; I know for a fact that with your piloting skills and when this magnificent space shuttle is completed, it will fly

The real question you should be asking is, how far, or for how long? 

(Sorry Simon, never admit to having doubts about the flying ability of the craft you are building, or there are consequences.)

That gives me an idea  ::), let's start a pool.  Everyone can participate.  Think of the anticipation and excitement.

sihinch

Well it's been some time since I updated the thread here, and I've actually done quite a lot of work.  In fact, it's nearly finished.

I've glued in the elevons and used a Frank tip to put Vaseline on the hinges before epoxying them in place.  I then tested the servos and gyro function (I'm using an EagleTree Guardian for the first time.)

I glued on the booster pods by the tail and started to blend them in the fuselage.

I added a base coat of white to the top, and black to the bottom of the aircraft.  After seeing some of the lines that were visible I did a little more sanding and filling, and re-coated in white.

I cut the battery hatch in the side of the fuselage and added magnets to it.

So, what's left? 
I need to balance and add velcro to hold the battery (CG is just ahead of where the battery is going, so that will be fine.)
I want to spray the whole model with white enamel once it's a bit warmer outside. 
I then need to paint the details (like nose, windows, leading edge, tail fin etc) and
Print some decals.  I will be using "Endeavour" as my chosen Shuttle - partly because I love the TV show, and also because this has been my first scratch built endeavour!

bweaver

And a great Endeavour it is.  I can't wait to see it fly...  ;D

sihinch

Latest update: even though the foam was coated with Mod Podge Hard Coat, the tail didn't like the enamel spray paint. It wasn't damaged but there were small signs of protest. So back to cheap acrylic......

A bit more painting has taken place and it's now starting to look more like the Orbiter.

Michael

Michael

bweaver

Looking great Simon.  The warwing inspired projects are coming to completion. 

I am excited to see yours and my WW inspired aircraft in the air.

:) 

VadimKirillov

Looks like TEMAC Space program is 3 2 1 liftoff ...

sihinch

Home made decals worked out well!