Annual Report from the President 2018

Started by sihinch, December 01, 2018, 11:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

So here it is, my final Presidents Annual Report.  At least, for the time being!  In addition to reporting on 2018, another great year for TEMAC, I'm going to reflect a little on my seven years as President.  Please allow me the opportunity to ramble a little...

I had the pleasure of going for a morning crew lunch recently, and it made me realise something (but I'll come to that in a moment.)  I was very touched to receive a card from the Morning Crew, thanking me for my time as President. I love our club, and our hobby.  These 2 facts have made being President a labour of love. I joined TEMAC in 2011, and I remember sometime in that year, Mike Hazelton made a comment one summer day at the field, with a relaxed smile on his face something along the lines of "ah, back in my happy place!"  And that's what I think of TEMAC – it is our happy place.  A place where we can all play, relax, be ourselves and escape the pressures of everyday life.  One of the things that makes TEMAC so great, is that we let our shared interest of RC flying trump any differences.  Jack Higgins used to say to me that our hobby is just the excuse for friends to spend time together.  I think he was right, but I would add (and I'm grateful for the fact that) our hobby has given us friendships.  As I was sitting having lunch with the Morning Crew this struck me – I was sitting with 17 friends, all different, all adding something to my life (and our club) and all thanks to TEMAC.  I encourage you to pause for a moment the next time you are at the field, or at a meeting, and just look around at all the friends you've made at TEMAC.

I've always taken the role and responsibility of being our Club President very seriously.  But it's also something that I've been very proud of, and very honoured to do.  We have one of the largest clubs in the zone, and possibly in all of Canada (if you consider Ontario to be the most inhabited Province) and my mission has always been to ensure that all our members have a fun & safe place to fly.  My philosophy for guiding our club has really been centered around 4 thoughts:
1) have a plan,
2) make the good things better
3) listen to people's interests and wants and
4) be open for change. 

I think the future President of TEMAC has a very solid foundation to work with – your incredible, committed Board has improved all aspects of running the Club, from fund management to field care and membership to our events program.  Bruce has also continued in the tradition of excellent CFIs, with a plan and spirit of his own for our Flight Training program.  As I look back on the last 7 years, I'm proud of some of the member led changes we've made – without your suggestions we wouldn't have a runway, a loo, an FPV system or a car track, to name but a few.  I think we've done a pretty good job of incorporating the changing aspects of our hobby (FPV, Quads) without having "special interest" fights or conflicts.  We also managed to protect our field following a Transport Canada investigation by adding new safety guidelines.

Whenever family or friends come and stay with Les & I, we always ask them for their highlights.  I'm going to share some of my highlights with you now.  Maybe these will inspire future Club activity?

The first I've already mentioned – our runway.  Some feared it, some didn't think we needed it and we didn't really know how to do it.  I remember working closely with Bill Quantock and the Board to research and plan the change. What a great change it turned out to be.  Who remembers trying to take off with wheels smaller than 2 inches?  Weren't all our EDFs hand launched?  Thank you Bill.

Next, I loved the Piker Class racing. Wow, what a thrill that was.  Jack's vision and the Clubs enthusiasm for the racing was amazing. For 2 and a bit summers, it seemed to me to be the focal point of the club.  I'm still sad that it faded out. Maybe someday we'll have something else....

Third, another one of Jack's ideas, was Doors Open.  As I said, I love our hobby and sometimes I love to show off (just a bit!)  So having the chance to show the Community what TEMAC was all about was a real thrill.  It was a lot of work, but for me it was well worth it.

Finally, a more recent one, the Warwings.  With the enthusiasm of Bruce and the Morning Crew behind them, how could they not catch on.  At first I wasn't interested. Shame on me.  Then I flew one.  And then I flew one in combat. Wow! Wow! Wow!  How can you have so much fun with something so simple and cheap.  And just look at what's happened with them – Waring racing is catching on and we're modifying the design to be indoor flyers and Space Orbiters!

So, as I say goodbye to 2018 and the end of my Presidency, I want to thank you all.  For supporting me and our Club. For being involved and being willing to help and volunteer. For keeping our field clique-free and being courteous to one another.  For making TEMAC a safe & fun place to be.  And for being my friend.

To the next President, I say "remember it's for our members, stay inclusive, be open to change and most importantly, don't muck it up!"

Wishing you all happiness and good health,
Simon

Frank v B

Simon,

Thanks for the dedication, the vision and the leadership.  We are all in a great place. 
By the way, one of the great quotes in history is "I shall return".  Look after Les first and foremost.  Once both of you win that battle we hope to see you back in your happy place.  Your seat is reserved.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"