Frank's new E-Flite V900- "silly fast"

Started by Frank v B, December 14, 2018, 08:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Just got a call today from John's Hobbies that my E-Flite V900 racer has arrived.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  The Great Hobbies website describes it as "Silly Fast".  I won't be silly as long as it is fast.

It is best to describe it as an EF-1 pylon racer in a smaller airplane.  Only 34" span and a 60 amp esc, 3S (100 mph) or 4 S (120 mph).  It has poor man's retracts (hand-launch).  The promo video is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2Nn8FcFO0

Will post photos of the box opening and assembly.

Frank :D :D :D :D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Got it!

Relatively small box.  Opened it up and .....relatively small plane.  Same wingspan as a Nooner.

In total 10 pieces and that includes a package of 5 screws and clevises. The parts are 1) fuse  2) wing 3) stabilizer 4) prop and spinner already assembled 5) a small bag of parts.  All horns and servos are installed.  WOW! Do you think I can manage to build it. ;)
It has an APC 8x8 prop and a 60 amp ESC so it is getting close to the EF-1's one horsepower rating.  This is getting into the zone where EdEdge starts to wake up.  He calls it "nice idle" ;) 8)

The spinner in the photos looked plastic but it is actually spun aluminum.
Quick calculation... 30 oz, 800 watts or about 400 watts/pound.   OOOOOOHHHH, I like the math. ;D ;D

Will bring it to the January Pilots' Meeting.

Frank

Frank v B

Done!  Total elapsed assembly time... 15 minutes.

Steps:
- slide in the stab and anchor with one screw.  Connect the elevator servo horn and slide on the retainer.
- add the spinner- remove the cone, tighten the prop nut and re-install the cone with an Allen head bolt.
- install the wing with 2 wing bolts.  I added an extra step by putting dental floss over the y connector to the aileron servos (see photo 2447) to keep them from coming apart. Takes away two potential failure points.

The servos are brand name Spectrum metal gear ones.  The ESC is branded E-Flite 60 amp.

Next step is TX programming.......OOOOOOSCAAAAAAR! :(

Frank

sihinch

I guess I need to get one too, to race you!  ;D

Michael

Maybe this could be a new TEMAC club racer fro a few seasons.

Maybe I'll buy one too.
Michael

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on December 14, 2018, 08:17:31 PM
Just got a call today from John's Hobbies that my E-Flite V900 racer has arrived.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  The Great Hobbies website describes it as "Silly Fast".  I won't be silly as long as it is fast.

It is best to describe it as an EF-1 pylon racer in a smaller airplane.  Only 34" span and a 60 amp esc, 3S (100 mph) or 4 S (120 mph).  It has poor man's retracts (hand-launch).  The promo video is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2Nn8FcFO0

Will post photos of the box opening and assembly.

Frank :D :D :D :D

Let's see....

8x8 prop at 120 mph.....  Soil shear strength approx. 25 kPa......

Yup! @Frank v B should be able to dig a really nice 6-metre long half-pipe in the back 40!  or even in the RC car track!!

Can't wait to try out burst mode on my Nikon!!   8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re:"a really nice 6-metre long half-pipe in the back 40!"

I call it a belly landing.  Those poor worms. >:(

Oh, and about the "back 40"...you mean the area of the field where you have been planting balsa all these years? I am just tending the soil so your balsa trees grow faster.  Symbiotic, eh? :D

Frank

AlexShao

You should buy one, I used to have a similar one:

HSD Furious 200, 2820 KV1500 motor, 60A ESC and 4S 3300 battery

Super fast.

Quote from: Michael on December 16, 2018, 12:59:03 PM
Maybe this could be a new TEMAC club racer fro a few seasons.

Maybe I'll buy one too.