Sandringham Repair

Started by piker, October 25, 2013, 05:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Another video with a bit of the same footage but also an interesting story.

If you're not interested, that's O.K.  I'm as much using this as a log for my own reference and viewing pleasure   ;D

Robert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYGqt3x9s8

piker

I've been very quiet on the Sandy repair as I've been plugging away at finishing details.  I did a fair bit of fine tuning with filling and sanding to get ready for painting again.  Then , over the holidays I started the painting process.  The main colours are now on and ready for the trim colours.  I need to get my wife to create some files for me this weekend so I can get vinyl masks cut for painting the red fin.  I already have the masks for the registration numbers from when Tara cut them for me the first time I painted this plane, in 2007   :o

You may notice that I'm using flat paint...it's actually called Chalk finish.  I would have rather gone with more of a satin finish as I did with the original paint job on this plane, but I wasn't able to find anything that worked well.  I'm opting for a flat finish as I feel it will represent the faded, tired looking paint finish of the full size better than a high gloss, plastic look.  I do have the option of finishing with a satin clear coat when finished, if I feel the paint is too flat.  But I think this is going to work out the way I like.

piker

While I'm working through the overall painting process (its recommended that I wait 48 hrs between coats or trim colours), I've been messing with the detail features to help add a little more realism to the finished model.  Time to make the various antennas and other bits and bobs that adorn the full size.  Most of these details are over the center section of the wing, and as features on the cowls. 

I started with these little tear drop shaped thingy's that started out looking like tiny tip floats.  With a bit of sanding, they turned into what I was going for.  More play with ply and balsa resulted in the mess of details features I was looking for.  Now for the process of sealing the wood, fine tuning, and painting.  These details are time consuming, but fun to see as they come together.

electroflyer

Really nice to see the old girl back in flying condition. I really appreciate your skills with making such small details look so good. I am always concerned about breaking antennas and other things such as guns off of the plane just carrying the airplane to the car from the basement, forget the actual transit and flight! No matter how careful I try to be, they seem to get knocked around. D'oh!

Glenn

wollins

Sweet! It would be awesome to see the two big birds (this and the Solent) flying together!

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

octagon

I agree with Glenn about both, how good you are at making those little rdf antennas and all, but I also agree if I made them they would last, oh I don't know, maybe to the top of the stairs at home before I knocked something off. I made the winglets on the 415 detachable and  may do the same with the tip floats. But she looks great Rob.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

Thanks guys.

I do have a plan for the delicate features sticking out.  The tall, rear antenna will be connected to the short stubs further forward with wire, and back to the fin, I believe.  This is the radio antenna I think.  When removing the wing the wire will be unhooked from the fin, and the tall pole is removable as it's plugged into a tube glued into the fuselage.  This will leave it attached to the little posts with wires.  The two tear drop things are also removable, but will likely stay.  When the wing is removed I will have a thing built from foam and wood that will mount over the delicate features over the wing and protect them when travelling.  I'll probably make this device a handle of some sort for carrying the wings as they're rather awkward and the center section infill over the wing is delicate.

The cockpit hatch will be removed and shored safely inside the fuselage, and the little T shaped aerial is also removable and will store somewhere for safe travels.  So, anything that can easily be knocked off will either be removed for protected.

That's the plan, anyway....

Andy Hoffer

Hey @piker

Fabulous inspiration Rob!  Can't wait to see your scale passengers and crew. :D

Loved the 2nd video clip you posted on Dec 15. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYGqt3x9s8)

Cheers!

Andy H