EDF units needed with matching ESC required for students

Started by Gregor77, January 18, 2019, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

I had an old friend ask me to show his daughter RC stuff, later I found out they are doing a class project to design a flying object and make it drop an item in a circle.  Well after some discussion, we determined they need 2 50mm or around that size EDF units to complete their project.  If anyone one has anything that they are not using and would like to sell off or *wink give away, please let me know.   They basically have a helium balloon they need to more around.  2 fans + matching ESC should do the trick!  I can provide them a DX5e / RX, servos and bec and other bits they need.

Let me know!

Frank v B

Cadez,

It would probably be easier and lighter to use GWS geared brushed motors with props.  They are lighter and cheaper.

I will dig into my shop tonight and put together a power kit for this project for Wednesday's Build Class.  Five finger discount from all of the stuff donated by members like John Kusturin.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Greg,

Put together the following RC experimentation kit for the students:

- two geared GWS indoor units-  One is a "B" drive and one is a "D" drive (stamped on the face of the large diameter gear)- If another Temac member could find either a B or D drive we can have matching sets.
- two small brushed electric motors with props that came from a differential thrust indoor flyer. (direct drive) and 2 spare motors with props in case you need them.
- two matching GWS 8 Amp brushed ESC's with JST connectors.
- 3 matching GWS 6X3 props (one is a spare)
- a 2 cell 180 mah lipo pack (E-Flite) with a JST plug.  In case you need light weight power.
- one 2S 850 mah lipo pack with a JST plug in case you have extra buoyancy.
- 2 spare brushed GWS motors in case you want to try direct drive
- 2 spare JST plus (male) with pigtails
- 1 JST plug (female) with pigtail

All from member donations (John Kusturin, Bert Dunk, others).  Will bring them Wednesday to the Build Class.

If members could please surface a B or D drive for Greg it would complete the power unit.

Frank

ps: my experience with RC blimps is that they maneuver very slowly and cannot be pushed around with significant power.  I once helped Ken Wilton fly the RC blimp at the AC Centre before a Maple Leaf game.  Speed is not an option.  Everything, including crashing, is done in slow motion.

Gregor77

Frank v B

Greg,

Gosh,

Thought about the steering.  To add serious turning power to your differential thrust.....

Used one of the small propped brushed motors and glued it to a micro servo output arm.  The prop can be powered via the ESC and the servo connected to the rudder stick.  It should be positioned at the bottom back fin.  Servo in line with the fins.  Blimps tend to wallow.  This may give it sharper turns because it acts as a stern thruster. 

It's in the box.

Frank

bweaver

@Frank v B ,  Really Frank,  tell the truth. While working in your shop, at sometime you unknowingly/inadvertently dropped some glue.  Some time later you picked up a servo with the motor attached to it, and then your light flickered a little and then came on.

piker

I likely have some stuff too.  I'll bring what I have

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: "Some time later you picked up a servo with the motor attached to it, and then your light flickered a little and then came on."

The real magic is:
- to accurately accidentally drop the glue on the motor so it is perfectly aligned.
- making mistakes with your eyes open.  It is the route to many a great discovery.

You give me way too much credit.  You're right, I couldn't duplicate the accident.

Yes, Rube Goldberg is my hero.

Frank