My First Balsa Build - Piper Cub 30"

Started by VadimKirillov, April 17, 2019, 09:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VadimKirillov

Thanks for everyone's pressure to post my progress in balsa cub build. I gave in, and now posting all that I'm working on. Let me know if you see mistakes in my build, and comment if you see what I should correct until it's too late. First I started off with preparation of my "mobile work table" since i still don't have a permanent working space. I have covered a piece of foam board with shrinkable plastic ( had a kit for sealing windows for the winter which I haven't used), now I can work anywhere, where I can find a quiet space and moment. then I have built wings and tried to keep them as straight as possible. Continued with fuselage, rudder and stabilizer which I have to modify as the kit was designed for rubber powered free flight. Now I'm slowly working on formers as they are all separate pieces that I have to glue on to the frame to give it rounded shape. the cutouts of balsa are very uneven in this kit so I have to improvise and send all mirrored pieces to keep it somewhat even shape.
Whew.... I think that is all i have at the moment. now I'm ready for all critical "support" you guys can give me.

Michael

Your work is clean and precise; like an expert!
Michael

bweaver

Michael, I would say he is a 'Master in the making'.

Way to go Vadim, I don't see a problem.  You should be commended for your ingenuity.

As a matter of fact, just like you I don't have permanent workshop, but it hasn't stopped me...  Where there is a will there is a way.

I look forwarded to watching the Cub's progress.

octagon

Good job Vadim, looks great. If the plane does not have a main spar, I think you will need to have functional wing struts. If you don't have your motor yet, I have several of which you can have one of. Also have a speed control you are welcome to.
What could possibly go wrong?

BJROB

Nice job and your using wood glue
I was thinking of the same as I start sanding my Cessna 150
I'm going to setup like you have done... portability is important
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Gregor77

Michael

Michael

piker

Awww   Look at little Lisa... and a young Michael at 14th Ave...   ;D