The very last aeroplane built at Filton in Bristol...

Started by RogMason, January 26, 2019, 07:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

Gentlemen,

After 100+ years and many iconic aircraft types being built and flown there (including BAC111, VC10, Concorde, wings for Airbus 380 etc..), this was - the very last aeroplane to be built at Filton in Bristol before it closed forever.

Roger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUkQ__ukTBM
'Roger That...'

Frank v B

Hey Roger That,

Thank you for being the club's official link to aviation history...with a British twist.

We just had about 4" of powder snow to counteract the hot sun that you are experiencing.  Whenever Andy has been good, nature gives us a layer of snow.  Good thing is Andy is mostly bad so we are snow-less 8 months of the year. ;D  If Andy is getting worse as he ages, does that mean he is singularly responsible for Global Warming?? ;)  Rhetorical of course..... but "cause" and "effect" ;D

Hang in there and safe home.

One day closer to spring! :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

RogMason

Thanks for the best wishes Frank.  I hope that you guys have more snow fly's before that horrible warm weather comes.  Should keep Andy happy? 

BTW, did you happen to notice in the movie, a parked Concorde flash past the lens as the camera panned following the Spitfire?  It is parked at Filton where it was built, having made the last commercial trans Atlantic flight of all the 15 Concordes that were ever built (7 each BA and Air France and one an Oil Sheik).   

Here is a fantastic photo of that particular aeroplane on final approach over the Bristol Channel in October 2004.  Note the Channel, the A10/M10 motorway, the Severn Bridge, the medieval watch tower and the crowds gathered to watch this Concorde return to roost after its final flight from JFK.

A great photograph taken by Lewis Whyld, standing outside on the ski of a helicopter.  He says, this was his first aerial photograph!  I'd stop right here and retire.  How can you better a shot like that?
'Roger That...'

Frank v B

Roger,

Great Photo. 

I did notice the Concorde in the background of the Spitfire clip.  You have to love all the people standing on the hill to watch the pass.  They appreciate history when they see it.
Glad you let us know the photo was taken by a photographer in a helicopter.  It it were taken today it could have been some blinking idiot with a drone.

There is something about aviation buffs.  I remember the cars lined up on the 401 when the first 747 landed in Toronto*.  Then heard reports about the people lined up when the first Airbus A 380 landed and the Antonov 225 took off.  I came out of a coffee shop at Bathurst and Wilson when the 225 was supposed top take off.  Sure enough it appeared, circled and then disappeared.  It looked like a slow flying whale.  It was huge.

A bit of trivia: When we had a family reunion in Holland 6 years ago my brother dug up old photographs.  One showed the 7 of us getting on board a Pan Am 747 named Clipper Victor flying from London to New York in 1967. It was the second year since the 747's first commercial flight.  The name on the nose next to where we were standing proved it was the very 747 that tangled with the KLM 747 at Tenerife on March 27, 1977.  Still the deadliest air accident in history with 583 killed.

A funny incident.  About 25 years ago a fellow came up to me and asked me how long it would take to learn to fly a model airplane.  I answered "12-15 flights".  He said "I fly 747's".  I immediately said "30 flights".  It was 30 flights.  He was the chief pilot of Air Canada and the first pilot in Canada certified to fly 747's.  Tom Thesuska, great guy, a great friend and we flew together until he retired to the east coast.  The reason for my guess of 30 flights was that experienced pilots have no idea how much information they get from the pressure on their butts and back during a flight.  They can sense a plane moving 6" up or down.  Flying a model airplane is a total disconnect from their sixth sense.  It is completely hand-eye co-ordination and a whole new sensation for them.  As well, they over-think the experience.

Frank

* No Bruce, I did not see the Wright Brothers at Kill Devil Hill. ;)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 27, 2019, 11:48:25 AM
Hey Roger That,

Thank you for being the club's official link to aviation history...with a British twist.

We just had about 4" of powder snow to counteract the hot sun that you are experiencing.  Whenever Andy has been good, nature gives us a layer of snow.  Good thing is Andy is mostly bad so we are snow-less 8 months of the year. ;D  If Andy is getting worse as he ages, does that mean he is singularly responsible for Global Warming?? ;)  Rhetorical of course..... but "cause" and "effect" ;D

Hang in there and safe home.

One day closer to spring! :D

Frank

Finally!!!  8)

Andy