• February 23, 2019, 05:39:03 am
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

!!

TEMAC Forum Guests

Please take the time to Register for the forum, especially if you are a TEMAC club member.

This is one of the most active RC club forums in Ontario. Please participate in the discussion to help our great club to continue to grow.

Author Topic: JD-2 Dyke Delta - FOAM Build  (Read 206 times)

Offline bweaver

• Ace
  • TEMAC #: 169
  • Started Flying RC: 1979
JD-2 Dyke Delta - FOAM Build
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:42:16 am »
While being unable to attend this months build class, I thought I would share what my next FOAM 'stand way-off scale' project will entail. (Yes, @Frank v B , it will be made of foam and other composites and materials.)

I am going to construct the main 40 inch span wing core out of half inch blue foam. The remainder of the aircraft's frame and structure will be built out of a variety of foam type materials, along with light ply and very little balsa, if any.

I have found plans for a balsa 40 inch built-up JD-2 model on the internet, that I am going to use as a guide to help me along with this project.  To further assist me I have also found where some other modellers have constructed this and similar models while also using foam.  That's right Frank, I am not alone.

Further, I will not be ashamed to copy or extract tips from others past experiences, knowledge and building/construction techniques.  Isn't that what is all part of this fantastic hobby?

Unfortunately However, due to my current circumstances I am unable to start the construction project (except for in my mind) for at least another 3 or 4 weeks, but once I do, I will post the progress as it proceeds. 

Offline piker

• Ace
  • TEMAC #: 3
Re: JD-2 Dyke Delta - FOAM Build
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:25:38 pm »
Very cool.  Looks like a Warwing!

Offline sihinch

• TEMAC Past-President
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • TEMAC #: 124
  • Started Flying RC: 1987
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 05:03:25 pm »
Good luck Bruce! It’s a cool project.

Offline Frank v B

• Ace
  • TEMAC - Assistant to the Assistant Greeter.
  • TEMAC #: 141
  • Started Flying RC: 1989
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:24:23 pm »
Bruce

re: "That's right Frank, I am not alone."

You miss us already!!  Poor Katie! ;)

It is interesting that the photo clearly shows reflex in the outboard wing panels.  When Dr. Keith Shaw did a presentation at the EMFSO AGM wwaaayyy back, he mentioned that the Northrop flying wing (YB-49) had 7 degrees of wash-out at the tips.  Interesting to see the reflex airfoil in the photo of your delta.  Don't forget to add it if you don't want the elevons to have about 4 degrees of "Up".

The washout in the wingtips is visible at 1:32 and 1:51 run time

Happy dreaming and building.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:38:11 pm by Frank v B »
"Never trade luck for skill"

Offline bweaver

• Ace
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:29:44 am »
Still thinking!   ;)

Offline bweaver

• Ace
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 02:05:24 pm »
Back to reality and the cold and snow.  It truly is great to be home.  I only miss the WARM sun and the soft clear blue water.

As previously mentioned I have found PD full size plans through Aerofred.  I downloaded the file and took it Staples where they printed out the full size plans at a cost of close to $l0 per sheet and a $3 set up fee. So for $23.52 cents I am set to go.

Now I have to go around my house and find all the sheets of foam I have hidden for some time behind furniture, wall units, in closets, etc.  Once those have all been compiled, it's time to start building.