Frank's RV 4 30CC RV 4 by Horizon Hobbies

Started by Frank v B, February 10, 2019, 09:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Piker,

re:"It would be a shame to give this magnificent beast away after all this work."

This is for a customer.

You have it all wrong.  I get paid in store credits and I convert it to another evil project of my own.  A psychiatrist would call this conversion therapy. ;D ;D 8), my wife would call it "another bleeping airplane", my kids would see it for what it is......putting A.D.D. to good use. ;) ;)

Frank

ps: it is a really nice kit.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

The finish line is in sight.

Added all the servos in the fuse, pushrods, assembled the canopy, added the clear bubble.  The bubble canopy had a few cracks in it so I attached it with screws, not glue.  Added the wingtip lights, the pilot, the roll bar, etc.

The only thing left are the decals and the spinner.  The spinner backplate needs to be drilled out for the huge prop shaft and add the 4 bolt holes to hold the prop.

Frank

Frank v B

Forgot about strengthening the landing gear.  The owner asked me to strengthen it because he read some reviews where it was deemed marginal.  This plane has twice the motor so strengthening we go.  The landing gear is in two halves.  Each half is bolted into the fuse with 4 bolts.

Added 3/32 ply strips to the bottom of one LG arm so it created a slot over the length.  Added 1/8" piano wire between the slot and wrapped the whole thing with Kevlar strands in 5 minute epoxy.

The neat thing about this landing gear is that it has a 3 piece sleeve made out of fibreglass that wraps over the landing gear.  All the reinforcing will be hidden from view.  Went this route because I fear the weak point in the LG is the bend where it comes down from the fuse.  The piano wire straddles this bend.  The plywood on either side of the piano wire is just to keep it in place.

Sorry about no photos.  They were taken with no camera which is all I have  (lost it, have to get a new one tomorrow.)  Am starting the second LG leg tonight.

Will retro-post* photos when I get a camera.

Frank

* pretend it is a word. ;D

Frank v B

Got a camera.  Something good came out of my lunch today with Andy "Yousuf Karsh" Hoffer.  He sent me to Henry's just down the road at Yonge and Steeles.

The first photo from my new camera.

On top- the landing gear leg with the plywood mounted on either side of the new landing gear wire.
Middle- the landing gear leg with the Kevlar wrapped around the landing gear in 4 places.
Bottom- the landing gear covers made out of fibreglass.

Frank

* The camera is a Nikon Coolpix- $119.00.  I did not tell them I knew Andy because they would probably have charged me more. ;D

Frank v B

Wrapped the LG leg with kevlar and 5 minute epoxy, wrapped it in waxed paper and stretched 2 layers of electrical tape over it to squeeze the epoxy smooth.

Removed the tape and waxed paper this morning and it was absolutely smooth.  Better than the first leg where I did not use the electrical tape.  It also soaked the kevlar better.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Love the last photo.  Glad to see that you have mastered the art of soft focus with your new camera!!!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Focus???   What's that??  Soft at that. ;D

You obviously have no concept of my lack on talent in specific areas. ;)

Frank

Frank v B

Almost finished,  Just a few more details to go.

I am 6'2" and feel dwarfed by this plane.

That's an 8 hp motor!!!

Frank

Frank v B

Perspective!

The new Cobra Z is smaller than the stab of the RV 4.

Frank