Ryerson 2019 project- flying Feb 21

Started by Frank v B, February 11, 2019, 10:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Aleks from Ryerson Team confirmed that they will be trying their 2019 project for the first time Thursday, Feb. 21 at 11 am. at Rogo Field.  A fallback date will be Sunday, Feb 24 at 11 am. if Andy gets too active with the white stuff.
I have booked the time off work*

Frank

* I looked in the mirror and gave all my employees the day off for good behaviour.   ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Just talked to Alex and we are "on' for tomorrow (Thursday) at 11 am at Rogo Field.

If we last more than an hour I will post the visiting hours at the Clarke Institute (CAMH) ;D

Frank

Frank v B

Well, we flew today!!

So much for the cut-and-paste school projects. Four students and I went to Rogo field today to fly.

This hexcopter has some power:
- six 60mm motors (6011-130 KV)
- six 80 amp esc's
- two 6S 16,000 mah batteries, each the size of a brick!!
- 20" diameter carbon props
- remote gimbal for the (photo) camera
- heat sensor camera
- each motor is capable of lifting 2kg's

Here is the exercise-  This is being prepared for competition among universities.  The object is as follows:

It is the day after a huge storm which has damaged some solar panels in a solar panel farm.  The hexcopter has to follow a pre-programmed route and photo map the entire farm, decide via the heat sensor camera which solar arrays are damaged and which are fine.  It then has to go back over the field and mark each of the damaged arrays with a homing beacon so repair crews can fix them without inspecting all of them.

The photo camera maps the entire area, GPS marks all the solar panels and then overlays the heat sensor photos over top of the real photos tp map the entire area.

Today's flights were successful and all the testing worked as hoped but not without a few hiccups.

I will post the photos when I have access to the other computer.

Frank