Wanted – Working Transmitters for TEMAC Student Training Purposes

Started by bweaver, May 09, 2019, 08:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Donations of working transmitters would be much appreciated.

Let me explain...  Once again we have transmitter buddy box and safe beginner mode issues dogging student-training sessions. 

Two new students have been out with new transmitters and Apprentice aircraft.  In each case we are having difficulties with the transmitters. 

In one instance we have not been successful in being able to change the transmitter's mode of operation from 'beginner' to 'experienced mode'.  The transmitter will only work in 'beginner mode'. 

In the other instance, the transmitter is capable of operating in 'experienced mode', but incapable of making a buddy box connection using a the training cable link. 

With these two students we are able to overcome this barrier to flight training by using donated functional transmitters we had obtained last year.  The student's new Apprentice aircraft fly fine, but we have to use two of the club's transmitters in each instance to facilitate the student's flight training.  Should more students attend and have similar technical difficulties and our current supply of transmitters are in use, then some of the students haveto miss out until the radios become available. 

Having explained that; if you happen to have a working transmitter, preferably with a model memory function  (even better with wireless master buddy training capabilities), and you have no longer a use for it, a donation made to the club's flight training program would be very much appreciated.

Hopefully the problems being experienced with these two new student transmitters can be overcome in the near future, thus reducing the necessity to use two club transmitters each time one of these students takes to the air with an instructor.  Without the availability of the donated club transmitters at this time, these two students wouldn't be flying.

Help us make the best use of the limited instruction time we have set aside on Wednesdays to ensure the students are flying, especially in instances when they are experiencing difficulties with their own equipment, through no fault of their own. 

Everyone can appreciate that nothing is more discouraging than starting in a new hobby and having complications that prevent you from participating in it.  To put it simply - imagine yourself showing up at the field with your equipment and find yourself grounded for one reason or other due to technical issues that can't be overcome at the time. Sit and watch, or go home.

It would be much appreciated if you can help.  Your generosity can really make the difference. 

Or, alternatively perhaps you have the knowhow to help us solve technical problems of this nature and join our flight instruction team.

SeeFernando

Happy to donate the DXe that came with my Apprentice! I can drop it off this weekend possibly, Sunday?
-Chris

msatin

I received the programming cable for my DXe, and I believe I was able to load the Apprentice specific configuration.
I will be at the field tomorrow and with any luck this will solve the problem.
If not, then perhaps I can duplicate a config from a working DXe. Regardless, I will bring my laptop and cable as well.
You never fail until you stop trying

bweaver

That's great Chris and Mark.

I will be at the field in the morning with Frank, but not likely to arrive until ten-ish.

AndyC

bweaver

bweaver

Thanks Richard.

Your help will be greatly appreciated, if we can get a fix for both of these radio problems which appear to be somewhat more than just a buddy cable  connection matter. 

In one instance we have not been successful in being able to change the transmitter's mode of operation from 'beginner' to 'experienced mode'.  The transmitter will only work in 'beginner mode'.  This is problem is experienced with just one transmitter, without even attempting to make the buddy connection.
In the other instance, the transmitter is capable of operating in 'experienced mode', but incapable of making a buddy box connection using a the training cable link. When the buddy cable is connected between master and slave, there is absolutely nothing happening with the slave.)

Oscar

You get to beginner mode (SAFE ON) because the BIND button in DXe has 3 functions. 

1) Binding
2) Give control to the student when buddy box
3) Turn SAFE ON

You need to programme the DXe so that SAFE assigns to another button. 

bweaver

The way I understand it... You take the cable and plug one end into one transmitter and the other end into the other transmitter.  If works - great.  If it doesn't call Richard or Oscar. 

Thanks so much Richard.  I am so glad you and Oscar are on the flight team.

(See the illustration of my understanding below.)

My add should have been -  Wanted working transmitter trainer cables that work every time

msatin

Some good news.
I confirmed that the Apprentice configuration file did load properly onto the Tx.
After rebinding everything seems to be working. We did have an issue with the master/slave, but that could have been my fault. Will try again and see what happens.
I can't include the config file but will be happy to email it to anyone, just ask :)
You never fail until you stop trying

bweaver

Re @Richard_RC_Guy 's response: Yes I wanted to *emphasize* the correct sequence of plugging in the cables. That is first plugging in the cable into the powered on MASTER. Then power off the SLAVE and plug the cable into it (power comes on when cable plugged in).  So basically buddy boxing  should work right out of the box with two DXe transmitters provided both have Ch6 reversed and connected to bind switch. Or DXE and DX5e. Some extra setup is required with other transmitters.

Yup, you need the right trainer cable. It must be a mono cable (not stereo) AND it's best to get the SPEKTRUM cable because sometimes the clone cables have a long plastic shell which *prevents* the audio pin from plugging in all the way.

I headed to the field on Sat. before noon. Will bring my DXe, DX5e, and programmming cables. I should be able to program thru my iPhone (it worked at home).

(It is so nice have people on your team that know what they are doing.)

You just had to rub it in.  I will point out to you once again... 

Candu

Bruce, I have a brand new Turmigy TGY 9X that was was giving to me for spare parts. If it is suitable, I can pass it on to you the next time we meet.

bweaver

Hi Frank, thanks for the offer, but I don't think it would link for flight training purposes to student radios that are commonly brought to the field such as Spektrum or Futaba brands. (I know beggars can't be choosers, but...)

BJROB

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!