Fixing a DX6 scroll bar- an attempt.

Started by Frank v B, May 15, 2019, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Today at the field the scroll bar on one of my DX6's broke.  I opened up the transmitter and removed the scroll bar and the broken off piece.  The broken off piece is squarish and fits into a pot.  It is not just a pivot.  Buying a new one would be like giving up.  Cheap to the end!

Approach:

- the bar is hollow until the broken off pin.  Drilled the two pieces with a small diameter bit in a hand drill
- glued a hardwood round toothpick into the hollow of the scroll bar.  This wood allows a metal pin to stick into something.
- once dry, I will drill the toothpick, insert a pin and attach the two pieces together.

I may have to get a new one but I will see if this works.

The photo shows the scroll bar in its proper position in the DX6i, the scroll bar with the glued toothpick, the broken plastic pin and the hand drill used to drill the holes.

Fingers crossed.

Frank

ps: if anyone has a spare one I would be happy to buy it.
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Crazyflyer

Hi Frank, I may actually have one that may fit! I think Greg H gave it to me originally when I had an old Spectrum but I never installed it.
Let me know when you are at Rogo this weekend unless you are in the Vaughan area during the week.
Stephan

Crazyflyer

By the way, they have these fancy new drills that have batteries on them, you should think about getting one for your contracting work, it may save you some time!!!  ;)

Frank v B

Thank you Stephan.  I will try to go flying on Saturday and Monday., weather depending.

Frank

Frank v B

The glue dried (cured) overnight.  The repaired scroll bar next to the transmitter.  Photo 55

The steps to replacing it:
- remove the batteries, remove the 6 screw from the back
- remove the 2 screws holding the scroll bar circuit board.  The screw driver points to the top screw. Photo 56
- pull back the circuit board and insert the scroll bar.  The pin points down.  Note: the pin has a squared end.  I had to scrape some excess glue off with an XActo blade.  Photo 57
- re-install the board with the two screws, reinstall the back on the transmitter with the 6 larger screws.
- re-install the batteries and cross your fingers.  The scroll bar changed the screen from P-51 to Corsair!!!!!  Caramba!  Photo 59

It works!!!

Frank

ps- Stephan- I will still take you up on your offer.  I am only human. ;)

sihinch