Mk1a Spitfire, Imperial War Museum, London

Started by RogMason, May 16, 2019, 04:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

Spitfire R6195 IWM London

Athol, thanks for the photos of the Imperial War Museum aircraft collection, they are great!

The Spitfire we discussed and which you took photos of - R6195 - that hangs from the ceiling of the museum, I recall seeing as a youngster on a school visit. It is a Mk1a.  I was always impressed that it was so dirty (weathered as we now refer to it :-), having been plucked from service and hung 'as-is' from the ceiling of the museum with no attempt to pretty it up. It turns out that it fought in the Battle of Britain and went on to serve elsewhere throughout WWII, receiving damage in action from Heinkels and Me109's on several occasions and a few accidents to boot.  It was plucked from service and hung from the museum ceiling on the day I was born 28 Aug 1946 (a couple of years ago).

Maybe you can post the photos you took of the aeroplane, in this thread, as I'm sure others will like to see them? They are great. 
Here's the url to the IWM site...  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/70000222

Thanks Athol, very good photos.

'Roger That...'