Warbirds Event: Bomb drop?

Started by Gregor77, May 26, 2019, 07:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Just throwing this out there!

This year can we add bomb drop to the warbirds event?   

I was thinking of this yesterday:   10 scale buildings (1/16), made from blue foam or carboard (Not to damage any planes if they land on them (Just scraps you can find around the house).  Example, church, home, factory, farm, funny buildings (Tim hortons / starbucks), maybe a small hobbyshop.  Nice and simple box with some printed windows and decor.  Buildings to be placed on the grass far side.

I have a bunch of RC tanks 1/16 scale (2.4), American, Sherman, Pershing / German, Tiger, Panzer III, King Tiger / Russian, T-34/85).  Maybe other members have some.   Ron at Pin had some for sale, they are made by a company called Henglong.  They can also be found at www.matomart.com.  The fun part is the tanks will be moving on the grass and runway.  They last about 30 mins on a charge (3300 pack).

Make a small flag to record the bomb drop (Blue and Red)

Game play:

Create a points system. 10 points hitting a tank and 5 for a building.

Participants have to draw at the beginning to be either Allied or Axis, balanced teams. 

Same as skills challenge, but has to be a warbird or warwing, fly a circuit or two, line up and drop.  Call landing and the tanks move off the runway.

What do you think?   ;)

Gregor77

Gregor77

bweaver

Sounds interesting.

I'm always interested in a game.  It may take some ingenuity to make a reliable bomb drop mechanism and improve individuals techniques and skills for the skills day challenge.  :)

VadimKirillov

Sounds great.  I'm in for buildings construction.  I have lots of scrap foam from my warwing. Let's get busy.   🏫⛪️🏛🏢🏡🏠🏘🏚🏗🏕🚧🚧🚧

Palkina

The bomb release mechanism is very simple to make and wire. Each team should source these. There are 2-3 designs that could be 3d printed (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:920725). The most costly part would be the 9 grams servo.

davidk

Flite Test added a bomb drop to their Simple Cub.  Have a look at their build video at 9:56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWb9fwTZW0

Palkina

Are we going to engage? 

I will be able to print the bomb drops for one of the teams for the WarWings.  :D

sihinch

bweaver

Simon, do you mean, "Number two away"?  ::)

sihinch

bweaver

But just as much satisfaction!  ::)

sihinch

VadimKirillov

We are working on some buildings for War Birds bomb drop challenge.
Princess Castle is in painting stage.
Who else has progress on construction? share your images.

bweaver

And I thought I was mean cruel dad.   >:(

I can just imagine you saying to your daughter..."What a beautiful job you did building and painting that princess castle, my little darling.  Now let daddy take it away and bomb your princess castle." 

I hope your daughter has a sense of humor and can forgive you. (I mean us.)  ::)