Apprentice Assembly

Started by davidk, June 01, 2019, 11:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

With reverence to those who are builders, I hope you don't mind an assembly question on this board.

Following sage advice from TEMAC members I got an Apprentice S 15e.

Any advice/suggestions for assembly?  Mistakes that new guys usually make?

Thanks

bweaver

While it is not a male thing to commonly do, I would suggest following the instructions to the T.  Then when our experts conduct a preflight check with you and maiden the aircraft, we'll see how well you have done.  Great choice of plane. 

Now your left hand will have something more to do than just thinking about playing with the throttle.  ;D

davidk

msatin

Assembled my Apprentice a couple of months ago. Very straightforward. Took about hour
I also had a YouTube video going. It more confirmed that each step I was doing was correct, than actually instructional
Happy to show you next time we're at the field
You never fail until you stop trying

davidk

Excellent... thanks guys... assembling tomorrow.  Right now I'm just enjoying looking at all the pieces.

Frank v B

David,

The most important thing is not in the instruction booklet..... Pick your instructor very carefully.   ;)

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

It's on page 7.

SAFE : Senior Assisted Envelope Technology

SAFE technology is a revolutionary flight training system, provided by TEMAC Flight Instructors, designed to give you a stable platform for safely developing your flying skills.  This is not an autopilot or self-guiding robot, but rather the fellow standing next you with his finger literally on the button ready to save your bacon.

davidk

With gentle take-offs and landings (thanks to Bruce), in gale-force winds, the tail of a one-day old Apprentice looked like it had been strafed by all the warbirds flying that day.  The decal laminate was shredded and separating.  http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6997.0.html

I called E-Flite today and they called back in an hour... pretty good.  I told my story and without hesitation or question a new tail assembly is on it's way.  The fellow I spoke to said that whenever he takes a new Apprentice out of the box, he immediately tapes all the leading edges of the tail and wings.  Not a great testimonial for quality control of manufacturing, but excellent for customer service.

Frank v B

re: .....he immediately tapes all the leading edges of the tail and wings.

Why should you be their quality control department??

Frank

ps: photo taken after first flight!
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Look at that poor elevator.  :-[

I've got it all taped back together, elevator, rudder, all leading edges... trailing edges too.  If there was an edge... it got taped.

Too bad I'll have to do it again to the new tail section... seems a pity.

I wonder if hot glue would melt the laminate and foam?  A light bead applied and then wiped off should seal those edges.  Anyone tried that?

bweaver

Re: A light bead applied and then wiped off should seal those edges.  Anyone tried that?

It's hot and it hurts.

davidk

Not with my fingers... not again.  Did that on the Simple Cub... my first hot glue burn... yikes that smarted.

The guys on FliteTest, Josh in particular, does it all the time but once admitted he's got no feeling left in his fingertips.