Float flying - July 14

Started by Michael, June 08, 2019, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palkina

Will go to try my first flight from water.

bweaver

Quote from: Palkina on July 04, 2019, 09:56:50 PM
Will go to try my first flight from water.

This is going to be so much fun to watch @Palkina !!!  Are you going to bring a plane too or is this a levitation thing? 

Regardless of how you get into the air, you will love it.  ;D 

Canuke

I have got a Timber (with floats)on order from Zoomroom. It is supposed to come in on Thursday or Friday next week. Assuming it comes in I would like to try it out. 

bweaver

Hi @Frank v B

I saw Ken Rawlins today.  He said that he was going to go too.  He was wondering if fuel was OK?  I thought it was the last time we were out, but I don't know if it is permitted at their new pond.  Do you know?

(I am working on my aircraft that I will be bringing.  I don't do the levitation thing over water like Carlos, but in it, fat floats.)

I am looking forward to it. 

Frank v B

Bruce,

Thanks for the post on Ken Rawlins.  Have added him. He came the last time.

re: glow fuel- my original conversations with Rudie were that we would love to come float flying and that we would fit into their club.  It was never intended to be electric only.  Beeton is still mostly fuel so we should respect their membership focus.  It is a model airplane event... with a very wet runway. ;D

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

OK... this may work.  Had a set of SuperCub floats and cobbled them onto my E-Flite TaylorCraft 450.  The plane has a 480 in it so it is mildly wildly overpowered.

- Removed the wheels and axles.
- added a plywood plate inside to hold the rear anchor in place.
- put the spreader rod through the axle holes in the landing gear.
- used 4 wheel collars to hold the floats in the correct place.
- added the white plastic plate to the rear plywood plate and glued it in place.  See middle photo
- screwed in the rear support with the landing gear straps and screws provided in the float kit.

It looks like it should work.  If not, I will hand launch it from the edge of the pond and fake it. ;D  After the hand-launch I will figure out how and where to land it.  Details.  Details.

Frank

piker

Just confirming for Frank.

Yes.  I'll be there.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'll likely only have my old CL-215 though. 

Robert

ppalumbo

I plan on attending.   Thanks Peter

Gerald Danen

"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Frank v B

So far the count is up to 24 pilots registered, 14 from Beeton and 10 from TEMAC.

Should be fun.  Please, please bring a sense of humour. ;D

Frank

craigc

It's Timber time and I'm bringing my Timber X and mini Timber.......

Do you need any help with the food ??  Chopped up Vadalia onions for example ??? something else ??

Craig    ;D

Frank v B

Craig,

Sure, bring the exotic chopped up onions.  I will bring the red stuff, yellow stuff, green stuff and white stuff (mayo!).

Thanks,

Frank

Frank v B

Directions to the pond

I asked Rudie for plain English directions for someone from the City.  I don't understand Lines and Concessions.

Hiway 400 north to 89 (Cookstown).  West on 89 until Alliston which is where 89 ends at the Dairy Queen.  There is no Drive-Through so don't create one!.  A quick left and quick right down the main drag of Alliston.  Keep going west for 8-10 minutes (I asked whether it was speed with or without a cop on your tail) past the second set of lights (Hiway 50) to the 4th Line.  Turn right (North) about 1.5 km. until you cross a little bridge.  It will be on the left.   It is about 300 meters north of the Humane Society building.

This also confirms that IC motors are welcome.

Frank

bweaver

For those who wish to program their GPS using a municipal address, the Humane Society Frank has referred to is located at 5545 Concession Rd 4, Everett, ON L0M 1J0.   :D

See you there.

Frank v B

Have done the shopping:

3 - 12 packs of pop (Coke, Diet Coke, Soda water...for Bruce and me) a case of bottled water.
60 hot dogs
60+ buns
condiments Red, green, yellow and white (mayo, for Rudie and me. ;D)
8 bags of chips.  One of the essential food groups. ;)

Bruce is bringing the serviettes (he's the clean one)
Craig is bringing the exotic diced onions.

You bring your airplanes and your sense of humour and we will have a great day.

Frank