Canada Day and Cub Fun Fly

Started by bweaver, June 22, 2019, 05:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

That's right, Monday July 1st Canada Cub Fun Day is just around the corner.   

We are going to celebrate Canada's 152 birthday and the first Piper Cub's 81st birthday by having a fun fly on holiday Monday.

Here's the type of aircraft you could bring in order to qualify to attend this upcoming fantastic event.

CUB TYPE QUALIFIER
A highly detailed scale PIPER CUB or a not-so-detailed Cub.
If you don't have a CUB of any sort, any 'yellow aircraft' will do.
If you don't have a CUB or a 'yellow aircraft', any 'high-wing aircraft' will do.
If you don't have a CUB, 'yellow aircraft' or 'high-wing aircraft' any aircraft with a wing or two will do.

CANADIAN HERITAGE TYPE QUALIFIER
Any model of a full-size aircraft designed or built in Canada, or bearing Canadian civilian or military markings.
Failing that, any model airplane that is red and white, or red or white, or at least has a maple leaf on it somewhere! (Green or other fall colors are also permitted)

Unfortunately if you don't have a plane that can meet the minimum qualifications described above, don't stay home by yourself and miss out on this fantastic fun fly, bring out whatever type of electric model airplane you have to the field. Even if you only have a de Havilland Beaver or Vampire will do. 

As you can see, there should be no excuses for TEMAC members not attending.

Officially the formal festivities will start at 1 p.m., but you can arrive anytime you wish. 

Pack your own lunch and beverages if you plan to spend the day. We don't need anyone dropping due to hunger or dehydration.

More information will be forthcoming in future posts.

Frank v B

Great Bruce.  I will unfortunately be able to make it.....  just to bother you. ;)

re:"Pack your own lunch and beverages if you plan to spend the day."

I will donate/bring a cooler with ice cubes, water, pop and juice so the only thing that will be dropping like flies will be Warwing foam. ;D ;D

Thanks for organizing it.  Always a fun day.

Frank

ps: the set-up crew will meet at 10 am. (tents, bomb making, field marking, etc.).  Be there.  Bruce will give us our marching orders.
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

ONE WEEK TODAY

Here are the events and the rules for the Canada Cub Fun Fly.

Because of the fun we had last year and everyone now knowing what to do, this year we are going to do it again and have even more fun because we are experienced funsters.

All pilots and student pilots wishing to fly in the event must register to fly in the event.  At registration contestants will declare what type of model they are flying in the Challenge. All aircraft must have functioning landing gear for take off, touch and go and landing. (Student pilots must fly using the slave transmitter while a flight instructor mans the master transmitter – if you dare) A number will be assigned to each pilot and the numbers will be drawn at random for pilot/plane order of flight.   We aren't going to make Michael be the first contestant this year.  Maybe I will start just to show everyone how it is done or not to be done.

There will be 5 flight challenges that will be flown sequentially by each pilot with their selected aircraft.

A Cub type model aircraft (high wing) starts the event with a total of 75 points

A Canadian heritage type model aircraft starts the event with 65 points

A Non-Cub or Non-Canadian type model aircraft starts the event with 50 Points

Each participant will fly Challenges A through Challenge E sequentially. The challenges are described below. The participants will be reminded of the Challenge sequence if they don't remember it. A contestant's flight should not last more than 5 minutes.
All flight lines are to be adhered to. (Don't fly over the road and don't fly over the west side of the geotex runway.)

Challenge A - 50 meter dash on takeoff between two designated points on the runway  (TIMED)

How fast can you go without taking off between two points on the runway (a start-line and a takeoff-line)?

The Pilot can stand at any one of the flight stations desired. The timer stands at the takeoff point and gives the 'go' signal to the pilot, who races the plane down the runway from the starting line to the takeoff line.

The time it takes to travel this distance while remaining on the runway between the two points is only recorded for successfully staying on the runway between the starting point and the take off point.

The judge will record the time.  (A person who will be using a stopwatch will determine the time.)

Deduct 10 points for having the aircraft's wheels lift off the runway before the designated takeoff point.

Challenge B - Two Loops

After taking off from Challenge A, proceed to fly 2 of the most magnificent loops.  Inside or outside loops are permitted.  Each loop must be completed with the wings relatively level and remaining in tact.

Judging - Cheers or Jeers: TEMAC Members and guests attending are the judges and they will be surveyed to determine the performance quality of each loop. (Thumbs up/flags up/cheers reflect success. Thumbs down, flags lowered, jeers expressed reflect failure)

Deduct 10 points for each loop failed to complete

Challenge C - Limbo

Proceed to fly below the ribbons without touching the ground for the necessary distance to achieve a successful limbo.  (1 attempt only)

Judging - Cheers or Jeers: TEMAC Members and guests attending are the judges and they will be surveyed to determine the limbo performance. (Thumbs up/flags up/cheers reflect success. Thumbs down, flags lowered, jeers expressed reflect failure)

Deduct 10 points for failure to successfully fly under the limbo
Add 20 points for completing the limbo successfully while flying it inverted

Challenge D – Make a Touch-and-Go Within the Runway Target Area

Make one landing approach and complete one touch and go within the target area designated on the runway.  (1 attempt only)

Judging - Cheers or Jeers: TEMAC Members and guests attending are the judges and they will be surveyed to determine the limbo performance. (Thumbs up/flags up/cheers reflect success. Thumbs down, flags lowered, jeers expressed reflect failure)

Deduct 10 points for failure to complete the touch-and-go in the designated touch and go target area

Challenge E - Precision Landing

Land on the Geotex runway and stop on the Geotex runway.

Deduct 10 points for failing to land and stop on the runway.

Winner Determination:

The challenge Judge will document the performance of each participant, based upon the crowds Cheers or Jeers. 

Once all competitors have competed the challenge, the scores will be tallied. 

In the event of a tie involving points, the fastest time in the 50 meter take off dash will be declared the winner. 

In the event, there still is a tie, there will be a Hula Hoop competition held to determine the winner.  Once again, in this instance the winner will be determined by the crowds Cheers or Jeers.

Let's have fun, be safe, be courteous!

bweaver

Here is my cub! It is dusted off and ready to go!

bweaver

I see by the responses that everyone is so excited, I have decided to raise the bar and take it up notch. 

For those who still wish to participate in another form of flying challenge can joyfully participate in a round or two of combat.  Bring your warwings and ribbons. 

All combat challenges after taking off are to take place east of our grass field and south of the Stouffville Road flight line.

bweaver

Oh, and I might add, that for those just wishing to fly without the pressure of a challenge, you will be most welcome to do so before and after the main challenge event and between combat rounds. 

There will be lots of time for flying at your leisure and enjoy the comradery of your friends at the field.

sihinch

How about a warwing race or 2, too!?  ;)

bweaver

Quote from: sihinch on June 25, 2019, 10:43:39 AM
How about a warwing race or 2, too!?  ;)

You have been reading my mind... Not much to read is there Simon?

sihinch

This was the only other thing I saw, Bruce.....

davidk

This sounds like a fabulous day.  Here's my entry.

My only problem will be in keeping the Cub in one piece... flyable... between events.
Will there be an emergency repair tent? ;D  I must remember packing tape, epoxy, and hot glue... that'll keep her flying.

bweaver

See below... Need I say more?

You know I can't resist.  "Charge your batteries and get prepared for the Canada Cub fun-fly.  Better yet, once you are prepared, definitely make out and join in the fun.  Remember, read all the topics so you know what to expect."  :) 

sihinch

Found my Canadian aircraft!

bweaver

@sihinch
Quote from: sihinch on June 29, 2019, 08:31:23 PM
Found my Canadian aircraft!

Wonderful Simon, this means you are starting off with 65 points. If you fly the perfect circuit and fly the limbo inverted, you can finish with 85 points. Your 50 m dash time will be recorded for use in event of a tie.  Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get 85 points, but it's the thought and excitement that counts. (Simon won last year.) 

Someone has to challenge this man!

Frank v B

Thanks Bruce for a great event and the beautiful weather.  Yep, no snow again!  No gale force winds!  Wow ;D

Now for the photos.

04- Andy photo-bombs his friends.
05- Alex and his fan club. He brought his own cheering section.
06- Karl and a friend.
07- Michael grinning after cheating death.  The plane landed in the beans but controlled.  Only a tip float damaged.
08- Vadim's balsa project before the maiden flight
19- Vadim's project after the maiden flight.  A mere flesh wound.
09- Simon doing his past-president thing....
11- ...to Greg Hazelton.  Sometimes life gets busy with a young family.
12- Bruce rigging up his deception Cub.
14- Mark after trying to plant foam.

More after dinner.  Gotta work in the back yard.... in the shade!

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

An excellent day.  Perfect weather... great fun.