Lesson Learnt and You Can’t Fix Stupid!

Started by Athol, June 30, 2019, 08:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athol

On Saturday (29th June) at the field I was helping student pilot Ray with some flight training. We were having trouble setting up his Spektrum DX6 (2 gen) radio with mine using the Trainer System. After trying a few things unsuccessfully we loaded a new Spektrum Apprentice setup file from my SD Card. We checked the Safe Mode settings and got the switch settings working correctly.  We set the Throttle Cut up and set it to ON.  Tested that the motor was off when working the throttle.  All good!

I then connected my Spektrum DX8 (1 gen) using a cable and was about to set the Throttle Cut up when I accidently bumped the throttle.  The plane lurched forward and cut the top of my left hand between the middle and fourth finger. On examination, I saw two quite deep 2 to 3mm by 10 to 12mm long cuts and decided to pack up and head to the Mackenzie Health Urgent Care Clinic at Jane and Rutherford.

Check in was immediate and said to the fellow at registration that I was in two minds to go straight home and use CA Adhesive on the cuts rather that wait (I failed to ask how long the wait was to be). I explained that this was from a propeller of a model airplane.  There was really no triage and was told to take a seat and wait.
About 2 hours later I was called in by the nurse who triaged the situation and said a doctor would be along shortly.
The doctor did come in about 15 minutes later and took a look at the situation and said that as the skin was thin on the top of my hand, he would use an adhesive to glue the cuts together.  I told him that I use CA Adhesive for my modeling and he said that he was using a CA Adhesive too. He was using Dermabond (https://www.jnjmedicaldevices.com/en-US/product/dermabond-advanced-topical-skin-adhesive).

I then headed home none the worse for wear!  That's the end of the funny part on the incident!
In thinking about the situation and what lessons were to be learnt from this mishap, I realised that I should have asked Ray to hold onto the airplane on the table while I was doing the setup.

The good part of my behaviour was that I was not working over the motor and prop, but in front, when I bumped the throttle. My advice to everyone is to reiterate taking the necessary care when doing setup to make sure that you be aware of the potential risks of a motor revving up and slicing a part of your anatomy.

Work safely, think safety!

bweaver

Thanks for the advice.  I am glad that it wasn't serious and it won't stop you from flying combat on Monday. 

It wouldn't hurt for all of us to remember to implement TIP # 6 when setting up an aircraft on the bench at the field and at home. http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6588.msg43315.html#msg43315