Neat photo of Toronto from the air

Started by Frank v B, July 11, 2019, 10:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Received this photo from my brother.  His friend is a captain on a 777 and took this picture.  Unusual perspective.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

RogMason

Great shot Frank and as you say, a very unusual angle.  Presumably on final for 24L at YYZ?

Here is one from 1977 - the 'usual' perspective but interesting as the skyline is devoid of many current landmarks :-)
'Roger That...'

RogMason

Here's a younger 'Roger that' on the above photo run - Cessna 150 at the Island Airport  ;-)
'Roger That...'

sihinch

That is quite literally "too cool, man!"  8)

RogMason

Here's another from the same flight, this time looking from the west.

An interesting side note - Frank started this thread.  He knew George Hamann architect, very well.  Around the year 2000 - 2003, I knew Sidney Bregman, architect, both founding members of Bregman + Hamann Architects (Now B+H Architects), who designed the 3 black TD buildings in these photos!  Who would've known that all these years later, Frank and I would be playing with foamies in a farmer's field in Stouffville?

Small world - eh?
'Roger That...'

RogMason

And here's a similar angle from Google Earth today...
'Roger That...'

Frank v B

Roger,

re: Sid Bregman "founding members of Bregman + Hamann Architects (Now B+H Architects), who designed the 3 black TD buildings in these photos!"*

The word around the competitive sailing community was that in the early 60's Sid was tired of trying to find Toronto on the horizon during a long distance race.  That why he built the tall buildings and painted them black- visible from the farthest distance on the Lake.
Sid was a very good and serious keel boat sailor and had several boats all named Avanti (incl. a C&C Redline 41, C&C 42 off the Marauder 1975 Canada's Cup hull).  I raced on both boats as one of his crew.  We won many races overall including the 125 mile Freeman Cup. 

In the early late '50's, the Royal York Hotel was the tallest building in the British Empire.  It is now dwarfed by most buildings.

I visited Isabelle Hamann (George's wife) about 6 months ago in Newmarket and dug up a lot of memories.  She is a very classy lady.

Frank

* other building Sid and George designed- First Canadian Place, Mount Sinai Hospital, Skylon Tower, all the buildings on the south-east corner of Don Mills and Eglinton such as IOF, Nestle, Onyx, the old Blue Cross, etc.; Fairview Mall.
"Never trade luck for skill"