Hurricane build

Started by electroflyer, May 23, 2019, 03:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electroflyer

I bought a rare kit back in January at the Kitchener Swap meet. It is called a "Complete-A-Pac" Hurricane and was made in Scotland. Being a sucker for a Hurricane, I decided to take a chance. The kit looked complete as the box was full of balsa pieces. What was missing was the drawings. On the label, it clearly states that drawings were not included but I thought if nothing else it would be a cool puzzle.
I did manage to find a set of drawings on EBAY and bought them. My initial idea was to take the .pdf file I found on the internet and have it blown up to scale, but after speaking with the person in charge, I was not confident that they could scale the drawing correctly.

The kit is unusual in as much as the rear fuselage formers are plastic. The plywood fuselage side frames which the front formers attached to were far too heavy at 4 or 5 ounces each (side), so I copied and  replaced them with 3/16" balsa at .6 ounces each.

The fuselage is also made in two sections. The rear laid out as a half built unit on the drawing and the front section built using keyed formers in the side stock. when squared and locked tight with glue, the front gets mated to the rear section using two 1/4 inch balsa longerons to stabilize while it dries.

Here are some photo's of progress thus far.
  Glenn

Frank v B

Glenn,

re "Being a sucker for a Hurricane......"

Proof that you are human!!  :) :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

electroflyer

wouldn't go that far!!!..lol

bweaver

Sssssttttttttrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggeeerrrrrssss! No wonder the box was full of balsa. Another great project.  :D

sihinch

Lurve the Hurricane!  Yes, Glenn!

electroflyer

Hey Guys,

Here are a couple of shots of the Hurricane as it is being assembled. I had to ensure that the elevator and tail wheel steering was operational before the stringers were installed. Adding stringers was a very time consuming exercise but the scale appearance is outstanding.

Glenn