English Electric Lightning RC model?

Started by RogMason, July 23, 2019, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

Has any TEMAC member made an EE Lightning RC model?  I imagine it would be a very difficult model to fly, let alone build? 
Here's a good program on a lucky chap who got to fly in a full-size one in Cape Town, South Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4wuvw_5GM
'Roger That...'

sihinch

RogMason

Simon!!  You speed demon you!  👍👍
Any photos? 
1/4 scale?? Isn't that huge?
Was it a kit or scratch build?
How did you manage those super critical, incredibly swept wings and maintain their strength?
What is (are) the EDF(s)?
Does it have retracts?
Have you flown it?
What is the take-off speed compared to other models??
What are it's low speed characteristics?
Have you brought it to the field?
When do you next plan to do so?
'Roger That...'

sihinch

No, no, no Rog!  It's only 1 quarter built!

It's tiny.  It's a Tony Nijhuis design, made from balsa, for a speed 400 pusher.  It's about 30" long.  Basically all the parts are cut, I just need to assemble it! 

http://tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/Lightning23.htm

I promise it will be a Fall 2019 build!  If it works out well, I make make a larger EDF version.

I know GreenAirDesigns used to make a foam kit for an EDF.  Not sure if they are in business anymore?

RogMason

Ah, ha!  I thought 1/4 scale was a bit large to get in your car🤣🤣. In fact, you'd probably have to fly it to the field😊

All good Simon. Sounds like a cool project. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh balsa
'Roger That...'

sihinch

Well, I started work (again) on my Lightning.  About 2 or maybe 3 years ago I cut all the parts out, but hadn't assembled anything.  The mental roadblock was cutting the wing slots in the fuselage sides.  I was worried that I wouldn't get them to line up.

Anyway, this morning I got all the parts out of the bag, on my almost clear workbench, and thought "f**k it, let's do this."  :o

Fast forward to Sunday evening and I now have a fuselage frame with wing slots that line up!  I need to work on the wing joiner before I close the top and bottom of the fuse and I want to review the motor mount method. 

But I'm pleased with what I managed to accomplish in a day!  :D

RogMason

That's great Simon!! Look forward to seeing it this summer - maybe?
'Roger That...'

sihinch

A bit more work.....

The fuselage sides were joined at the weekend.  I hate joining fuselage sides, trying to get the taper at the front and rear correct. I really do need a jig. The nose was not quite uniform, but probably only me (and Piker) will notice it.

Tonight I added the motor mount reinforcement to the final former and then asked Les to come and help me glue it in. I needed 3 hands to hold the fuselage so the taper was correct and add the glue.

Now I've started the top and bottom sheeting with 1/8 balsa. The wings and tail are placed just for show.

I also popped to John's hobbies to get a plastic kit of a Lightning. I find having a small model to reference really helps with sanding the curves. Much more so than a picture or drawing. That's my excuse anyway!  ;D

piker

Yep!  Looks crooked to me!   :P

Seriously though... looks awesome!

RogMason

'Roger That...'

GuyOReilly

Here is a picture... 1,000 words....
Wheels down does not always mean a good landing...

RogMason

Hi Guy,
Here is the full story as told on the 'Fear of Landing' website a year ago.
I spotted the article and added the last comment to the thread, telling what I know about the famous incident. 
It really was a remarkable accident.

Here's the link...
https://fearoflanding.com/photography/the-story-behind-an-unbelievable-photograph/
'Roger That...'

sihinch

Lots more work this week. It's starting to look like a lightning now!

Polecat

Simon  Nice work, what is the next project, a Estrelitta.

sihinch

Ready for covering (actually, I started! Shhh.)  ;D