Field Repair

Started by davidk, April 06, 2020, 05:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

While the ground was still soft, but not wet, Glenn and I repaired the damage done to the grass area.  Since it was damaged by a vehicle, it seems fitting that it was repaired by a vehicle.
Being socially distant and aware, Glenn directed and I drove.  With a bit of distant shovel work it turned out pretty good.

We then hammered the runway spikes and re-set and hammered the station gate spikes.

I've no idea when the field can be re-opened, but getting these little jobs done before the ground got too hard seemed prudent.

Frank v B

David,

Thanks for putting in the time.

Did the field whisper to you that it misses us??

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

This is the time of year the field gives back some of what it took last year... as an offering of camaraderie.
A rubber ball, several canopies (pieces).  So many propeller pieces.

bweaver

Thanks David and Glenn... 

You are absolutely right that once the ground dries out,  it is going to be difficult or almost impossible to get rid of the bumps and divots without substantially more effort. 

Gregor77

Bad news, with the crazy wind today, I noticed the geotex is flapping in the wind.  The mid section is gone also, the sides were already coming apart.

Gregor77

davidk

Thanks Greg.  Now... I believe the rule is... the guy who finds it... fixes it.  So... let us know how the repairs go. ;D

sihinch

Maybe we could either put a sign up saying the field is on camera or actually buy a wildlife motion sensitive camera to see what is happening? They're about $70 on Amazon.

Gregor77

I did try to fix some of it.. but the ground is very soft.

sihinch

Did it look like deliberate damage, @Gregor77 ?

davidk

Quote from: sihinch on April 11, 2020, 02:12:40 PM
Did it look like deliberate damage, @Gregor77 ?

I just returned from the field and, no, it was just the wind.  The wind got under the damaged section at the north side and just ballooned the whole runway, tearing the centre seam.  The Geotex is so frayed that it wouldn't take much wind... specially down the centre.

sihinch

That's good, phew.  Thanks for checking David.

I was wondering about the pilot stations too....is that wind damage?

davidk

Yes, I'd already put 1 back up the other day... then these 2 others blew down.  The spikes holding them in place get pushed out of the ground.

sihinch

Phew.  Thanks.

@Gregor77 stop worrying us!  ;D ;D ;D