3D/ Precision Aerobatic interest Club

Started by VadimKirillov, August 12, 2019, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

@VadimKirillov  - Great suggestion and a lot of responses showing lots of interest. 

This is an excellent challenge to those wishing to partake in 3D or the precision flying.  I'm more into the 3D because it doesn't show the mistakes I make as much.  Or at least I don't even notice them.  I would be interested in pursuing this further in a more organized manner.

@vicwhit  had built a large profile 1/2 inch laminated blue foam airplane that he 3D'd with for quite some time.  He might be able to post the plans for those who are interested.

The following video illustrates some amazing indoor 3D aerobatics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDxHamYEQNU

vicwhit

I would be glad to help anyone crazy enough to risk his precious foam creation. I went through so many crashes and rebuilds that it can't be number.
Note... setting up the plane and transmitter is key in being able to control your airplane. The key is high expo rates, e.g. 60%, and lots of throw to achieve the instant changes in direction and altitude.
It sure would be nice to have an expert show us the basics but until that time I will help out. BTW...we need agreement from all at the field to do these maneuvers close to the runway. Somehow I have been able to fit into the morning group during lulls in activity and staying a little later after they head for lunch.
Do it while you can.

Frank v B

A couple of observations:

1) The difference between 3D and Precision aerobatics:
      - 3D flies on the prop.  Many maneuvers are below the stall speed of the plane.
      - Precision Aerobatics flies on the wing.  No high Alpha (flying below stall speed)

Two completely different disciplines.

2) At the TEMAC Funfly on Sunday, Sept. 1, I will ask Paul Hepworth to do a full F3A routine during our noon-time demonstration*.  The TEMAC funfly is only a little more than two weeks away.  Photos taken at last year's TEMAC Fun-fly.

Frank

* when Paul first arrived in Canada I was asked to handle his check flight for the Bramalea Club to see if he could fly.  He took off and I said "you're fine" and walked away... at 2' altitude.  Sometimes you just know when to stop being official. ;D  No regrets!  Thanks Paul.
"Never trade luck for skill"

VadimKirillov

Thank you very much guys for support and help with the topic. I 'm so glad that a lot of people are interested in learning and sharing knowledge of 3D and Precision aerobatics.
How about meeting on Saturday and having a show and tell at the field. I will print out maneuvers routine and we can do a bit of training, I would gladly help by calling out next moves.
If there is still no theme for September FunFly, we can discuss competition rules for precision aerobatics for that day.

AlexShao

Quote from: VadimKirillov on August 12, 2019, 11:33:24 AM
Hi, Guys is anyone interested in starting a little 3D / Precision aerobatics club withing TEMAC?
Maybe, some guys who have more experience will help with comments instructions, and it would be great if we can help each other with maneuver calls etc.
Who is interested? let's schedule meeting times and dates, equipment, routines, articles here.

Hi Vadim,

I am interested in precision flight and learning now. I will goto TEMAC field this Saturday at around 2PM with my new F3A plane.
We can discuss on the field.

The difference between Precision flight and 3D is similar with dressage and jumping horse game.

Athol

Hi Vadim, et al,

I've been interested in Precision Aerobatics since learning to fly the old F3A back in Cape Town, South Africa in the mid/late 1970's.
At this time i"m working on improving my precision by flying the Intermediate Schedule, see:
http://f3acanada.org/canadian-precision-aerobatics-schedules/ and download that for which you wish to fly.
There is also an F3A Contest being hosted by 905 Squadron: https://www.maac.ca/en/events_details.php?type=1&event_id=6569
905 Squadron is proud to host this years Labour Day Precision Aerobatics Contest.
August 31 & Sept 1 2019. MAAC Sanctioned event involving all Pattern Classes: Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, Masters and F.A.I.

I am happy to get involved in and encouraging participation in Precision Aerobatics and right now, I have an FMS Olympus F3A aeroplane as well as a Skywing 55" Edge 540.  The Edge is actually a 3D aeroplane but have just a wee bit of interest in 3D

For the Sportsman and Intermediate Schedule, any "well trimmed and straight flying" plane will work for this.

Cheers

Athol

mawz

I'm interested in the Precision Aerobatics side myself, albeit my interested is in old-fashioned Pattern Flying rather than modern F3A (IE SPA style flying and 80's Ballistic Pattern)

bweaver

@Athol RE: For the Sportsman and Intermediate Schedule, any "well trimmed and straight flying" plane will work for this.
This aircraft qualification counts most of us out - especially me.  I was hoping to learn how to make my planes become well trimmed, so that they will fly straight. 

Where was everyone today?  I thought we were getting together to get the ball rolling/the planes flying, the skills improved...

Anyways, because there weren't many out this p.m. I was assisted by Stephan, Simon and Ken with getting my hovering abilities tuned in...

It's too bad so many missed this skillful demonstration, because I was able to hold this hover for ever, until my coaches and assistant Stephan got tired and board.  But fortunately, Simon was able to capture this amazing feat on film.  See evidence below.

Try again tomorrow.

Oscar

With rain, strong wind and Tornado warning, its better to reschedule our first gathering.  Will Sunday afternoon (around 2pm) works for everyone?

Athol

VadimKirillov

Yeh weather forecast for today was so confusing.  No winds but a tornado warning. Rain and no rain changing every minute.  It was really hard to predict. But at least I got an acrobatic airplane and got it ready for flying. So I will go tomorrow rain or shine and take my chances with the weather.

bweaver

Observational skills - ZERO, 0, NADDA, NONE, ABSENT!  :P

sihinch

I think your 3D hovering skills are amazing Bruce!

bweaver

Simon it's like the plane was just being hung up there for me...  Amazing, I couldn't have done it without everyone's assistance.  ::)

Athol

Good Job Bruce - I look forward to you teaching me  :D