Converting 20cc gas to Power 160 electric- Hanger 9 Taylorcraft

Started by Frank v B, August 08, 2019, 09:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Was asked to convert from a Saito IC engine to an Eflite Power 160 with a 160 Amp Castle ESC.  The firewall shows holes for a Power 110 but not the 160.  Steps

- crudely attached the motor to the sliding plywood firewall on the motor box.  Used cap screws smaller than the permanent screws/T nuts
- crudely attached the motor box to the main firewall with 4 small cap screws.
- Slipped the cowl over to see where the prop shaft came out.  Had to slide the motor back about 3/4" and lower it a little.
- permanently attached the motor to the firewall with proper T-nuts and cap screws
- permanently attached the motor box to the plane's firewall

Now to re-inforce the motor box
- glued in tri stock suppled with the motor box.  Photo 969
- added a balsa rectangle to fill the box bottom to stop it from racking. Photo 970
- wrapped kevlar thread around the motor box where it attaches to the plane and where the motor attaches to the box.  Glued the thread with 5 minute epoxy (what else!) Photo 971.  Photo 973 shows the balsa infill after wrapping it with Kevlar thread.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

That's really nice.  Next time I see you at the field I'll ask what a sliding plywood firewall is... and why it is.

It's so good to see these constructions posts.

Will we get to see this at the field?

Finally, does this mean the motor box is bulletproof?

Frank v B

Dave,

To answer your question I attached the motor and took the following pictures.

Each motor has a different distance between the "X" mount and the prop shaft.  Since the prop has to come out in a specific place in the cowl, Horizon Hobbies makes a motor mount out of plywood that is a box with a sliding firewall to attach the motor.  The plane is designed for a Power 110 but this customer wanted a Power 160.  Always overpower an airplane.  You can always throttle back..... if you have to. 8)

The sliding firewall is at the back of the motor and slides in the rectangular holes in the box.  I had the enlarge the rectangular holes by about 3/4" to move the motor back.  Photo 969 of the bottom shows the set-up.  The triangular stock is to lock it in place. 

Photo 976 shows the top of the motor mount.  The gold coloured thread is the Kevlar to keep the corners together.

Hope this helps.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk