Jack Higgins' Memorial Skills Challenge 2019 - Saturday21st September

Started by sihinch, September 08, 2019, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Hi Everyone,

Michael asked for some help to run this years "Jack Higgins' Memorial Skills Challenge" and I was more than happy to help.  The format will remain unchanged (unless you protest a lot) because I think it worked.  The calendar says the skills challenge will start at 1pm, but we are planning a BBQ beforehand.

So, here are the events - they are open to all members with wings, plus students who have solo privileges:

1.   Carrier take-off and landing - channel your inner top gun; take off and land your plane on the "deck" of the HMCS TEMAC (2 go arounds)

2.   Bomb drop - drop a small bag of flower on the target.

3.   10-second dash - stay up as long as possible with 10 sec of motor run time

4.   Landing on a dime - be able to land your plane within a 10-foot circle (2 go arounds)

5.   War wing combat – who gets the most kills?

6.   Ribbon cutting - this time fly into the ribbon and cut it (3 attempts)

7.   Limbo dancing - fly your plane under the limbo line (2 attempts)

And the points will be added as follows, for the title of "Most Skilled Pilot" at TEMAC:

1st place or task complete                              10 points
2nd place or task complete on 2nd attempt      7 points
3rd place or task complete on 3rd attempt      5 points

davidk

Quote10-second dash - stay up as long as possible with 10 sec of motor run time

Does this mean you take off and fly for 10 seconds... and then throttle off... and stay up as long as possible?

sihinch

Exactly!   ;)

Or, if you are unlucky, you fly with 10 seconds of motor and then fly away, never to be seen again!  ???

bweaver

Quote from: sihinch on September 08, 2019, 09:37:05 PM
Exactly!   ;)

Or, if you are unlucky, you fly with 10 seconds of motor and then fly away, never to be seen again!  ???

Is the clock still running from last year Simon?  If the plane returns, does that mean you win by default?

davidk

Quote from: bweaver on September 09, 2019, 04:06:23 PM
Quote from: sihinch on September 08, 2019, 09:37:05 PM
Exactly!   ;)

Is the clock still running from last year Simon?  If the plane returns, does that mean you win by default?

I didn't know what these posts meant... until today. 

SeeFernando

Simon flew a tiny spec of a plane straight into the sun... Some say it's still climbing...
-Chris

davidk

I heard.  Any idea how far it flew in those 10 seconds?  Note to self... use a Timber for this event... as it can barely get down the runway in 10 seconds.

Frank v B

Skills Day is tomorrow.  I'll just have to fake it.

I will be at the field tomorrow before 10:30 am to set up but if someone needs help with a plane, drop by early.  The event is to start at 1 pm.  Have to pick up my last place trophy you know. ;)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Thank you to all the volunteers, and thank you Simon for organizing and hosting.

It was an amazing day!
Michael

bweaver

Yes it certainly was a great day!  Every member attending made it better.  Smiles all around.

After thoroughly enjoying watching every event and participant, if I had an opportunity to add a new award at the end of the day, it would be for the 'most versatile plane and pilot' -  Congratulations to CARLOS and his Warwing... 

Carlos' flight demonstrations and the results of the warwing combat session we enjoyed have encouraged me to go visit Lowes again.  (Is there any interest or needs for replacements?) 

davidk

Agreed... when Carlos cut that ribbon I thought there's nothing a Warwing cannot do... and a good pilot cannot do.

What a fun day.

WilliamA

Joseph and I were enthusiastically coming to skills day on Saturday ,but unfortunately a driveway project which had to be done forced us to miss this special event . I hope that pictures and video if taken , of some of the skill challenges , will be posted . Thank you.

sihinch

It was a super, super day.  I hope I wasn't too caustic with my "encouragement" or comments!

Thanks so much for being such active participants.  We had 20 contestants this year.

Here are the scores - I hope I didn't make any mistakes.

1st Place - most skilled pilot at TEMAC (apparently! ;D) - Glenn
2nd Place - pretty bloody awesome (but not quite as good as Glenn ;)) - Brandon
3rd Place - tied (the wannabees :o) - Vadim & Eric

davidk

QuoteI hope I wasn't too caustic with my "encouragement" or comments!

Simonizing is the best part.

Tip:  How to win at Warwing:  Half throttle... and be a terrible Warwing pilot.