Transmitter problem- Help!!! please Oscar, Richard or Pat.

Started by Frank v B, September 09, 2019, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

What is wrong with my transmitter???

One of my Spectrum DX6I transmitters is giving me trouble.
I just tested it with a new Orange RX, Castle Creations 9 amp ESC with an E-Flite 250 outrunner and 3 servos attached.

Background
- The receiver binds properly and the servos work properly through the ESC.
- the motor works properly on another set-up.

Symptoms:
- it perpetually goes through the ESC programming sequence of beeps.  No combination of stick up or down or trim up and down solves the problem.
- I tried reversing the throttle through the transmitter but that does not solve the problem.
- The same sequence happens on at least two other models bound to this transmitter.
- it happened yesterday when trying to ready my Rarebear.  When I bound another DX6I to the plane it worked fine and flew fine.
- everything worked fine 4 months ago.

Conclusion:
The problem is the transmitter throttle stick/trim lever.  How can I fix it?

Before David states the obvious, I am a contributing problem. ;)

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Would I say that??  Probably  ;)

Try removing the battery from the transmitter... and leave it out for a few minutes.
Next, can you take the back off the transmitter and see if there is any dirt, dust, etc. that may be causing trouble?

Frank v B

Dear Doctors David and Richard,

- removed the battery for 10 minutes and then re-booted.  Nothing changed.
- removed the back and there was nothing loose or dirty.  The only thing with a screw loose and dirty was my mind. (beat you to it David)
- I did notice a greasy liquid around the exterior of the throttle/rudder gimbal.  Wiped it off and it seems to return.  Have left it face down with a Kleenex around the gimbal.  Will leave it overnight to drain out the liquid.

Richard, you were right.  The monitor function shows all non-throttle functions moving with the sticks.  The throttle is stuck at high and does not move back and forth with the stick.

When I opened the back, the pot was turning with the stick movement as all the others were.

Signed,

Still Puzzled.

davidk

This doesn't solve anything, but I found this youtube video showing DX6i stick issues.  I think he concludes the transmitter was shorting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdjDMosdB2w

bweaver

sihinch

Oscar

davidk

Frank,

If you get a new TX... and... if you'd like some help transferring your Model List Tape from your antenna... Richard and I have developed some "software" to assist with that process.

Palkina

Frank,

I had a DX6i with similar issue on the yaw channel. It turned out the potentiometer receiving the stick signal had gone bad. (if I remember correctly, it was shorting out the signal)

If someone has a spare DX6i (in not working condition), you could use it for spare part and replace that potentiometer.

SeeFernando

Or swap your Rudder and Throttle Pots!  Who needs rudder...  Do you have a multi Meter?  Compare the reading cross the wiper with another DX6i that works to confirm if its the pot.
-Chris

Frank v B

Thanks for the advice guys.

David, please back over this transmitter and tenderize it completely.  You have a unique special ability. 8)

Frank ;D

pmackenzie

Most likely cause is a broken wire going to the pot, or the connector to the main circuit board is not properly seated.

Frank v B

Pat,

Thank you.  I will open it up tomorrow and have a closer look

Dave, Do not back up the car yet.

Frank

Frank v B

Richard,

A photo of the display.  The stick is clearly "down" but the top little triangle (under the "List" heading) on the monitor screen is at full deflection.

Frank v B

OK, I tried everything:

- checked all the wire connections
- checked all the wire plugs
- sprayed WD40 onto the pots as a last ditch. 

Nothing worked.

Thanks for the advice guys.  Dave, back up your car!..... but after you read the DX6I Transplant post.

Frank