Winter 2019

Started by sihinch, September 25, 2019, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Quote from: GuyOReilly on October 02, 2019, 12:12:58 PM
I have a few projects on the go:
1- a small low-wing plane I stole... err... secured from John Dutkowski.
2- a Minimoa - I will add an electric motor on the nose - scratch built
3- a Sig Tri-Star pusher, still in the box 

And of course I need to get flying the Smith Miniplane and the Komander.  ;D

Guy

Ooooo a Minimoa.  Very nice!  I've been in love with that glider since my very early days in the hobby as a 12 year old.  It was featured in one of the magazines at the time.  Very elegant.

Robert

SeeFernando

I hope I can get to fix the dang scorpion...

Fingers crossed!
-Chris

msatin

I found an interesting 3D "beginner" model
Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak 32"
Any thoughts?
You never fail until you stop trying

msatin

Thanks Richard,

I like the idea of trying 3D (i think I prefer slow to fast ;D), and according to what I've been able to gather, this is a good model for beginners (For whatever that's worth)
I have been playing with RF8.
It's certainly not the same as actual flying, but does make for a good comparison between airplane types.
Warbirds have been particularly challenging.
Another reason I was looking at this ARF model, is that it looks like a good beginner's build for over the winter.
I would welcome any thoughts
I have a question re: RF8, perhaps someone can answer
When I select one of the E-Flite models (Apprentice and Timber) I can't get the program to get out of safe mode. So I can't practice loops, rolls, etc.
I have been using other similar models in the meantime, but was wondering if there was another solution
Thanks

bweaver

Re: When I select one of the E-Flite models (Apprentice and Timber) I can't get the program to get out of safe mode.

Where is Oscar when you need him? ::)

msatin

Thanks Richard,

I found the gadget and saw the flight modes, but I can't get it to change
I went into the Edit Controller utility, could not get it to accept a toggle on any of the switches that would affect flight mode.
I've been playing with this for several days with no luck
I'm wondering if its an issue with the DX8. I'm going to send a note HH to see if they have a fix

davidk

RF8 and RF9 are the same for Flight Mode.  I'm using the InterLink-X controller but, you don't need to use the controller/transmitter.  You can use the keyboard.

Try pressing the "O" key - the letter O, not zero.  This will toggle between Safe Mode and Experienced Mode.  I don't think you get Intermediate Mode, but that doesn't matter anyway.

Then, go to the Gadgets Menu and display the Radio.  With the Radio displayed, press O, and you may see a switch toggle... which may tell you which switch is being used.

On the InterLink-X, the switch is the left-most switch on the top of the controller, beside the handle, and is a 3 position switch.

Also, with the Radio displayed, you will see the keyboard keys used for Ch. 5, 6, 7, 8.  Ch.8 (O) is Flight Mode and Ch. 7 (I) is landing gear.

msatin

David is my new hero!!
That worked perfectly
Where did you find this?

Thanks very much Dave - This has been driving me nuts

davidk

I got RealFlight 8 earlier this year in prep for joining TEMAC and toggled, clicked, and poked everything.  Once I found the Radio, stuff started making sense.

It seemed to me that RF, before any training, didn't help too much.  But, once instruction had started, I found it an amazing tool for practicing.  Everything I was learning I could apply to RF... and get the same results.  And now, trying out a new plane in RF, while maybe not exactly the same, is close enough to give you some idea of that plane.

I also picked a runway oriented the same as TEMAC and turned on the wind, matching the wind speed expected at TEMAC for that day.  Never could match those damnable west trees and their rolling gusts though.  :(

msatin

Totally Agree!
I could not fly the apprentice in RF before the training, but now, I find it's fairly similar.
I'm finding it's also helps to compare different planes
Now thanks to your help, I'll start playing with things like wind etc

Canuke

I'm looking for a winter build project as well. Simon. What is a 4s nooner? Is it a kit, plans or what (I couldn't find anything on line)? I've got quite a few 4 cell 2200's. Would they work?

bweaver

@Canuke I don't think you are looking for a 'nooner' is the sense of an airplane... ::)

davidk

To be read with a whisper...

QuoteWhat is a 4s nooner?

I think it's something do to with a girl.  The 4S means the same... something to do with energy delivery.

Canuke

Married with children?

sihinch

The Nooner is the racer we flew a few years ago. It's a kit. And the 4S is indeed something just referring to the power system.

But please do say "4S Nooner" with a whisper, it adds to the intrigue!